The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GS vs. WC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob, what setup style was faster or easier for the drivers to drive, given the same track. GS cars or the WC cars and why ? Aero, tires or setup ?

WOW...2 totally different formats, GS requires pit stops for tires and fuel GTS is just a straight 50 minute sprint.
This is my opinion.. The Continental tires were more consistent, however those itty bitty 275x18 were waayyy too small for the mustang so I would say the GTS Pirellis definitely had the advantage with their bigger 305 x550(?) and 660 x18 sizes. The GTS cars also had a much better aero package with the larger splitter and wing. I'm not positive but the same adjustments on the GS worked on the GTS, changing spring rate and shock wise, so from my point of view it came down to the tires. The pirellis had such a different characteristic as far as sidewall than the Contis, the Contis were the same front and back, the Pirellis had a different front and rear size with different sidewalls and I'm pretty sure Pirelli made a change to that halfway through the season, but I can't nail anybody down on that.
I would say the GTS car was easier to go faster with, however, if they made the Contis in the same size as the Pirellis, with the GTS aero, I feel pretty strongly THAT would be the best setup over a 1 hour race. Any tire we had fell off after about 4 laps, the Contis were just more consistent throughout the run.

It would be awesome to hear from AJ with his opinions about this. I know which Northern California track he prefers. ;)

@ajaquilante

Yep, it's never been a question I asked, we were all too busy trying to go faster with what we had, AJ or Kurt would be nice to hear from on this.
I PMd AJ

Hard question to answer.

The GTS car has a lot more go fast bits on it. Splitter, wing, the new rear axle. spherical in place of the bushings. Setup varied massively between the 2 but that was mostly due to tires. The splitter and wing didn't create a massive difference spring wise.

In general the tires made the most difference. The Conti's don't have much grip and are small, but they are more consistent. The Pirelli's have a lot of grip, but the sizes we ran caused a lot of setup challenges and the front tires would only last a one session. When running in club racing with the GTS car on Hoosiers we used a spring setup very close to the GS car. Again the staggered Pirelli setup was not fun.

A car setup to the GTS class on Hoosiers A7/R7 with square 315's is a fast car that doesn't need a goofy setup to make work and is fun to drive.

Rob, I just gotta ask, How can AJ kill a set of front tires in one session, when they spend half their time off the ground ?

Because, I'd bet, Pirelli never imagined when that tire was designed probably 15 years ago, it would see action on the front of a 3500lb front engine Mustang... Also, just air resistance causes tire wear with these tires.

ajaquilante said:
Because, I'd bet, Pirelli never imagined when that tire was designed probably 15 years ago, it would see action on the front of a 3500lb front engine Mustang... Also, just air resistance causes tire wear with these tires.

oh, that's good !

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ajaquilante said:
A car setup to the GTS class on Hoosiers A7/R7 with square 315's is a fast car that doesn't need a goofy setup to make work and is fun to drive.

yes

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel