The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 blown engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A GT350 ventilated the block yesterday at PBIR. This particular car had 4000 miles and seven track days under her belt,
Have there been issues/blown engines tracking the FPC engine?

Is it your car? There have been a few. The oil pump gear has caused some of the failures.

Not my car, a gentlemen from Orlando, FL. I’m tracking my 350R and want to proactively avoid that situation.
Has Ford stood behind the failures, when the car is tracked?

Did they upgrade the OPG? Seen mention of a canister oil filter in place of the spin on. Has Ford changed the filter?
I’m relieved to hear Ford stood behind you. I love this car as a track car and everyone’s got me panicked to get back in a GT3!

We'd like to hear the outcome if there is any additional info to share.

Officially there is no issue with the OPG so it was not upgraded. Unless Ford made a running change it uses the same gears as the ones that broke. My replacement engine came with the oil filter canister but the dealer told me that they needed to remove it and use the spin on oil filter because that's the way my 2016 was built. I was not happy nor was I happy with the two months my car sat at the dealer. I'll stop there.

Parts fail, Ford Performance is very good about handling these, the dealers can be hit or miss. We do offer a GT350 oil pump with Boundary Gears. Once we receive in more gear sets we will be offering them on our website. We have had multiple requests from GT350 Customers with the same concern. A vast majority of these are owned by Track Users so if something can fail it may.

I agree, but I have fifty year oid Porsche air cooled race engines that still have the original case hardened steel oil pump gears.
What’s the change out procedure on the FPC motor? Engine out, I assume.

FP does have an upgrade CNC billet steel Oil Pump Gear, p/n M-6600-M50A. The complete oil pump assembly is p/n M-6600-M52

The gears can be replaced without removing the oil pan, just remove the timing gear cover.
Question: Would you have to re-time the cams?

Also, an oil canister conversion kit, p/n M-6881-52CA does fit 2015-2017 5.2 FPC motors.

FYI

Roger that.
FP recommends the billet part if it's modified or beat on.
I found it curious that FP says the oil canister kit retrofits, but they wouldn't put it on your '16 at engine change out.

Bay Area
We'd like to hear the outcome if there is any additional info to share.

Officially there is no issue with the OPG so it was not upgraded. Unless Ford made a running change it uses the same gears as the ones that broke. My replacement engine came with the oil filter canister but the dealer told me that they needed to remove it and use the spin on oil filter because that's the way my 2016 was built. I was not happy nor was I happy with the two months my car sat at the dealer. I'll stop there.

Wait, what???? My buddy’s 16 Tech Pack has the canister.

#8 connecting rod failure, quarter size hole through the block. Ford has instructed the dealer to "secure" the engine and send it back.
Dealer will R&R with new engine under warranty.

Tried to upload a 2.85 mb photo but got this pop up: The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.

TMO Supporting Vendors