The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Clutch recommendation for road racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with non-OEM clutch kits in the GT350 for road course use? Looking for something with a lighter flywheel that will handle the abuse. Anyone have any recommendations, horror experiences, etc.?

While not the same application I have been very happy with this Exedy twin disc in my Boss 302 track day car. It replaced a McLeod that was just about to come apart. I will add that I have no idea how the McLeod was treated since it was in the car when I bought it but most of the tabs were broken or cracked. Luckily I replaced it a few 100 miles after picking up the car before it let go. I ordered my Exedy through Kohr Motorsports and this one is rated for 847 ft/lbs of torque.
1640643559480.png

IMG_7196.jpg

TX
Correct. OEM flywheel is dual mass to dampen the FPC vibrations. As far as I've seen, Ford has been tight lipped on whether it'll impact engine health or not to remove it.

That said, I've a blueprinted race engine that's got fairly different vibration characteristics than the stock Voodoo that, at least thus far, has been very forgiving on some of the areas I've explored moving away from the Voodoo-specific parts. Not sure I'm willing to go with solid motor mounts, yet, but I'm curious about trying a new flywheel/clutch setup--especially one that doesn't crack the block when it fails.

TMO Supporting Vendors