The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Second Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the chance to sit in and have an up close look at a 2016 GT350R electronics package today. It was at the NorCal Shelby Mini Nats. Here are some random thoughts:

The car looks great. (like you expected me to say something different?)

IMG_2669_zpsllu5brda.jpg

The Recaro seats are awesome and will provide much more lateral support compared to the Boss Recaro's. They have higher side bolsters on both the bottom and side cushions with more support at the shoulders. This will make it a bit more challenging for larger or less nimble people getting into the seats. I think their comfort level will be very similar once you are in the seats and their fitment is similar but the high side bolsters might make them fit a bit more snug than the Recaro's in the Boss.

The telescoping steering wheel, standard on all S550's, is going to make getting that just right track position really easy. I like to sit like a NASCAR driver so this will be sweet.

The R wing and splitter look cool and I was very surprised how low the front splitter is. In a similar location as my Boss 302 with the WC splitter on it the R was at least an inch lower and maybe even more. If you look at the design the very front doesn't stick out that much which will aid in entering driveways and such. The wing has a very similar shape to the LS wing. It has more of a flip up and is slightly deeper but if you eliminate the supports they look similar.

IMG_6122_zpslw1vl2sm.jpg
IMG_6114_zpsjymldvnx.jpg
IMG_6115_zpswhbjysai.jpg
IMG_6116_zpspy9oxgka.jpg

The rear seat delete looks to be a bit more substantial then the one in the Boss LS. I like how it has more of a pocket area and it screws on instead of the plastic push pins used in the LS. Note the hole in the plastic for the seat belts. Hopefully a small plastic cover is provided on the production cars.

IMG_6123_zpsso5oewh1.jpg

Check out the JLT like intake catch cans. Yes they are stock on all cars. Looks like JLT will lose out on some business. I think the Boss 302S/Peterson breather will be better so don't toss yours out just yet. ;)

IMG_6118_zpswiprzcuz.jpg
IMG_6117_zpsyw9lbymd.jpg

Check out the weld on the STB which is aluminum. Nice touch.

IMG_6119_zps9lttfm7m.jpg

IMG_6126_zpsqeu02gji.jpg

@cloud9
@Backorder
@fuhrius
@Moto
@jmbboss302
@ChopSui
@Polaristxguy
@tigerbillsbikes
@jas427
@Randy M
@7500RPM
@LS110
@OLOABoss
@jlwdvm
@BlazeYellow
@NFSBOSS

The more I see and read about this car, the better it looks and sounds. Getting more anxious every day to take delivery next month. Ford really listened to its customers when you look at all the improvements they made on the GT350.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
NFSBOSS said:
I had the chance to sit in and have an up close look at a 2016 GT350R electronics package today. It was at the NorCal Shelby Mini Nats. Here are some random thoughts:

The Recaro seats are awesome and will provide much more lateral support compared to the Boss Recaro's. They have higher side bolsters on both the bottom and side cushions with more support at the shoulders. This will make it a bit more challenging for larger or less nimble people getting into the seats. I think their comfort level will be very similar once you are in the seats and their fitment is similar but the high side bolsters might make them fit a bit more snug than the Recaro's in the Boss

IMG_6114_zpsjymldvnx.jpg

This guy is giving the Recaro seats are pretty hard look...I think I'll fit, I think I'll fit...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
four-walling said:
NFSBOSS said:

The Recaro seats are awesome and will provide much more lateral support compared to the Boss Recaro's. They have higher side bolsters on both the bottom and side cushions with more support at the shoulders. This will make it a bit more challenging for larger or less nimble people getting into the seats. I think their comfort level will be very similar once you are in the seats and their fitment is similar but the high side bolsters might make them fit a bit more snug than the Recaro's in the Boss

IMG_6114_zpsjymldvnx.jpg

This guy is giving the Recaro seats are pretty hard look...I think I'll fit, I think I'll fit...

Harsh

VooDooBOSS said:
No breathers on an earlier prototype.

attachment.jpg
Even though this car is going to cost anywhere from $13k (GT350 TP) to $23k (GT350R EP) more than the regular Boss 302, Ford has done a great job of minimizing the mod list for track use. Brake, oil, trans and diff coolers, bigger radiator, catch can, BIG BRAKE KIT, functional aero, 82 more hp and 49 ft/lbs tq, IRS, big wheels, track capable suspension, catch cans, aluminum bumper beam..............

cloud9 said:
Even though this car is going to cost anywhere from $13k (GT350 TP) to $23k (GT350R EP) more than the regular Boss 302, Ford has done a great job of minimizing the mod list for track use. Brake, oil, trans and diff coolers, bigger radiator, catch can, BIG BRAKE KIT, functional aero, 82 more hp and 49 ft/lbs tq, IRS, big wheels, track capable suspension, catch cans, aluminum bumper beam..............
Still unclear on the brake cooling though...

TMSBOSS said:
OK. I talked to my dealer today. I can have the one GT-350 they get this year.

White with blue stripes and track package.

Should have the numbers tomorrow.
Welcome to the party. Who's next?

Wait until you guys see the car in person. In the meantime read the supplement and there's no doubt Ford went way beyond what they did with the Boss 302. Of course the Boss is the Boss and so far there is no hour long documentary on the 350. ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
RE: Catch cans and Peterson breather: You might HAVE to run the catch cans--because I'm not sure where you're going to fit a Peterson can in that engine bay! Looks pretty tight!

ArizonaBOSS said:
RE: Catch cans and Peterson breather: You might HAVE to run the catch cans--because I'm not sure where you're going to fit a Peterson can in that engine bay! Looks pretty tight!
You're right and that's probably after they lowered the front end as much as possible for aero and weight distribution benefits.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel