The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Transmission noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently have this bright noise when stationary and driving.
When I press the clutch, the noise is a little less.

Video:

The noise can also be heard when driving, just not as loud as when stationary.

Slave Cylinder has already been changed. Noise is still present1f641.png

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?1f92e.png

I can definitely hear it....It increases as acceleration increases...I know I'm no help here....tranny maybe???..a lot of stuff in the drive train can cause this...you have to weed them out one by one.....someone here may be able to speed up that process.......................

Sounds like some sort of bearing in the trans, possibly input shaft bearing. It seems that it goes away when clutch is depressed and the trans stops spinning with the engine. May need to have the trans looked at. Tascaparts.com is a good site to look at for OEM part numbers.

New gearbox is ordered...

Question.
Does anyone know the part number for these parts:

Clutch
-Flywheel Bolts
-Pressure Plate Bolts

Transmission
-Pilot bearing
-and this ring on the photo
Flywheel GR3Z-6379-A

Pressure plate W718022-S439

Pilot bearing: 1C3Z-7600-AB
This is the std. coyote part. As the bearing is in the flywheel, I dont know if it's the same, but knowing Ford, probably is.

Block Plate FR3Z-7007-B
Shouldn't have to replace it but this is the number.

Flywheel GR3Z-6379-A

Pressure plate W718022-S439

Pilot bearing: 1C3Z-7600-AB
This is the std. coyote part. As the bearing is in the flywheel, I dont know if it's the same, but knowing Ford, probably is.

Block Plate FR3Z-7007-B
Shouldn't have to replace it but this is the number.

Have all parts number. The only thing left is the pilot bearing.

Spent half the day looking for it....
But find nothing specific for the GT350.

I hope it is the same as for the GT 5.0 :rolleyes:

Recently have this bright noise when stationary and driving.
When I press the clutch, the noise is a little less.

Video:

The noise can also be heard when driving, just not as loud as when stationary.

Slave Cylinder has already been changed. Noise is still presentView attachment 66034

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?View attachment 66035
Hello,
I just started having the same problem 3 days ago. Same whining noise during idle and I can hear it all the up until 3rd and 4rth gear. It goes away if you press the clutch. I had my clutch, slave cylinder and full motor replaced early this year. That means new clutch assembly, pilot bearing and throw-out bearing were used. This was confirmed by the tech at the dealer today.

I took it into the shop and the tech drove it and found it strange since the parts are still relatively new. He narrowed it down to it being either the input shaft bearing of the trans, something wrong with the trans itself or it could be the throw-out bearing. He will be lifting the vehicle on a hoist and using a stethoscope he will try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it's from the bell housing then it's the throwout bearing. If it's closer to the trans side then it's definitely the input shaft bearing or something else. Currently I have some warranty left so I hope it's the transmission, otherwise it's an expensive labor-intensive job just to replace the throwout bearing.

Were you able to figure out what was causing the issue on your end? I can provide updates as they start working on my car as well.

Hello

For me it was the gearbox.
Since the opening of the gearbox and repair costs, are more expensive than a new one I bought a new gearbox.
I have not exchanged clutch, because not available. Have only exchanged the flywheel.

Hello,
I just started having the same problem 3 days ago. Same whining noise during idle and I can hear it all the up until 3rd and 4rth gear. It goes away if you press the clutch. I had my clutch, slave cylinder and full motor replaced early this year. That means new clutch assembly, pilot bearing and throw-out bearing were used. This was confirmed by the tech at the dealer today.

I took it into the shop and the tech drove it and found it strange since the parts are still relatively new. He narrowed it down to it being either the input shaft bearing of the trans, something wrong with the trans itself or it could be the throw-out bearing. He will be lifting the vehicle on a hoist and using a stethoscope he will try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it's from the bell housing then it's the throwout bearing. If it's closer to the trans side then it's definitely the input shaft bearing or something else. Currently I have some warranty left so I hope it's the transmission, otherwise it's an expensive labor-intensive job just to replace the throwout bearing.

Were you able to figure out what was causing the issue on your end? I can provide updates as they start working on my car as well.

Not that mine is the same as your is, but I had a hard time getting mine into 1st gear (Just a "stiff gate"). Then I got some whining and a small grind into 5th gear. The dealer took it apart and ultimately indicated that the input shaft was the cause. For reasons they did not explain, it had gotten quite worn and spit metal bits into other metal nits and that doesn't go well. My entire transmission was replaced under warranty. They couldn't or wouldn't rebuild the existing one. Too many parts.

Not that mine is the same as your is, but I had a hard time getting mine into 1st gear (Just a "stiff gate"). Then I got some whining and a small grind into 5th gear. The dealer took it apart and ultimately indicated that the input shaft was the cause. For reasons they did not explain, it had gotten quite worn and spit metal bits into other metal nits and that doesn't go well. My entire transmission was replaced under warranty. They couldn't or wouldn't rebuild the existing one. Too many parts.
Thanks for the input! I have that same problem, it was hard to put it into first at times even when it was fully warmed up. Recently it wouldn't go into 5th or any gear when I was getting off the highway. That's when the whining noises started. I hope it's the transmission and it gets replaced.

TMO Supporting Vendors