The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Mustang GTP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There are quite a few Old Tooters on this site and even a good chance you will run into some folks you already know. Was running FS around the same time as you were running ESP and even a good chance you know one of my good friends and co-workers at Woodhouse Auto Family, Mark Jorgensen , since he ran an SVO in the 80s. Did you ever make it to the Solo Nationals in Salina, Topeka or the current location in Lincoln , Nebraska? Some of us are hoping to make RA in late April , but do put the first week of October on your calendar for the Ford and Mustang Roundup in Hastings, Nebraska ( www.racemph.com ). We get quite a few drivers from Minnesota and great way to meet a bunch of guys on this Forum ( 24 members showed up last year ). Welcome and nice build with your GT 350 Lite!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
No, I've never made it to the Nationals and don't believe I've run into Mark either although his name rings a bell. I may recognize him if he was at Northwoods last July. I tried to meet as many as I could in the 2 days I was there.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Mark has not run much for the last 6-9 years , but he was super active in the past. Sounds like you need to try and make the Ford and Mustang Roundup in October of this year. Hopefully things will be back to somewhat normal , but this event is huge as it involves track time ( and laps are timed ) , an autocross, and plenty of info since Ford Engineers have come down for every event to race with us and usually they bring a special vehicle ( drove a GT 500 down last year and raced it with us all Saturday!!).

Check out www.racemph.com

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The reason Mark Jorgensen sounds familiar is he ran an SVO years back also , though he later switched to a Camaro until he saw how quick I was running in a Cobra. Bingo he got an 1998 Cobra and it had a National Rep for being the fastest Stang in the Midwest. I remember when he took it to the Steamboat Springs Event and killed everyone at the Autocross with his little 4.6! The SVO you had , is still a super fond car in his memory. You need to get rocking with this fun beast and get to the Solo Nationals in Lincoln, Ne. this year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
OK, well, the time has come to ask for assistance. I'm not good at asking for help, but if I don't I'll end up chasing inadequacies in my driving or chassis by adding parts that are unnecessary.

July 4th weekend, Road America .... stock wheel and tire setup because I had no time to prepare. MC2's had approx 1500 miles of road use.
MM camber plates set full negative, estimated camber approx -2.0
BMR handling springs - 250 lb/in linear rate (Front) - 980 lb/in linear rate (Rear) .5" lower than stock
BMR front 35mm sway bar/softest setting, stock PP2 rear
BMR-CB762R subframe brace
BMR-CB005 cradle lockout
Stock MagneRide
Nannies - Track Mode

Here's my fastest lap.

Yes, I didn't brake late, coasted in places and didn't push the RPM's to max because the car was hot. But .... it would not turn. It pushed through the corners something terrible IMO. I felt every car was turning through the corner at a higher speed.
Sooo ... in my infinite wisdom, I blamed it on the stock alignment. I concluded that despite my driving flaws, which are numbered, there was no reason why the car should push through the corner. After all ... this was the sway bar setup everyone said was on point for a Mustang GT.

Fast forward, to Aug 21st ... Blackhawk Farms, 1.7 miles, much slower and more technical. Should be a good test to see if the new alignment shows that I (the car) am not as slow as the clocks indicate.
Here's a pic of my alignment sheet:
20200821_141217.jpg

Here's the one thing besides my driving that changes the comparison. Apex EC-7 with old RE71R's. Bought used last summer with a mfr date of 5017 but no idea how many heat cycles they have been through. Previous owner was hard on the fronts as the outside of the tires blueing, which I assumed was caused by heat. I drove the 270 miles to Beloit and found out upon getting there that one of the tires had sealer inside. So at one point there was a puncture or leak of some sort. Shouldn't really be an issue if it held pressure. Hot tire pressure was 34 BTW.

Regardless ... new track, better alignment (camber) and yet, I still felt the car was under-steering, especially through the sweepers. I never felt any oversteer all day ... safe but likely not fast. What I did notice a lot of at BHF was the car had what I consider noticeable brake dive.

Considering what I've thrown out here, I'm sure there is a lot variables to consider. The one thing that stands out for me is the rear bar. The PP2 rear bar is bigger than the PP1, so I thought it would be sufficient with the new BMR bar set at the softest setting. 2ndly, I still feel the car sits too high. I know ride height is a 2 way street. Too low and you hit the bump stops and too high and the COG works against cornering efficiency.

Considering the GT350 that I pointed by at the beginning of the second video is stock (MSS tires) except for camber plates and bolts, I feel that the cars should be on par handling wise. HP is another thing, but even watching the video, I can see that the 350 gets through the corners faster. I know the video is borderline terrible, but I use it more as a learning tool than entertainment for others.

On to 2021 ...

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Welcome to 2021!

1st step this spring was to secure new track day tires so I found one of the last remaining sets of RE-71R's in 305. Mounted and ready to roll.

Next comes the lack of my old ankle wanting to heel/toe. For drivers like myself who have been on my feet working most of my life, I decided to go with Xineering DBW. I know a few others that use it and are happy, so I'm following their lead.

I also purchased a used set of Apex 18x11 over the winter and have had them powder coated gloss black.

20210320_144424.jpg
Nothing mounted yet, but and considering either a used slick, NT01 or Falken RT660 just for something different.

Since I still have a factory warranty, I'm opting to stick with no engine mods until next winter (if we are still able to do that with the EPA breathing down tuners necks). But I did step up a sound mod with a Corsa double helix X-pipe in place of a standard x-pipe from last season.
IMG_20210220_153929_058.jpg

Not much of a build, but one none the less .... much better than the 20 odd years away from the sport.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I also run the Xineering DBW. in my 350R. It works well. Adjustments are through a laptop which is both a blessing and a pain. You need to drag the laptop around to adjust the settings. The blessing is that I set it and leave it alone where I used to always adjust the autoblip when not needed.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
A fresh set of RE-71R's, the Xineering DBW, Corsa double X and a spring day started off the 2021 HPDE season for me @ Road America on April 24th. Rain cut the day short eliminating the last 2 sessions, but overall I was happy as I set new personal bests in each session.

Learning alot about the new tires ... how much pressure, camber and how heat tolerant they are. Started @ 30 PSI cold and dropped 1 PSI (rears) after each session as pyrometer temps showed I was still a bit hot on center. 3rd session I ran a 2:42.309 and knew I left time on the track. Pyrometer temps were still slightly high on center and as I continued to push the tires, the fronts now showed the same center being hot, so I knew dropping the fronts and rears 1 PSI would be beneficial for session 4.

Rain ... and more rain ... wasn't much but washed out the rest of the day.

Here's a look at my new PB on lap 4 of session 3 ... ambient temps around 56F. I pointed by the 2019 ZR1 coming onto the front straight so I had to back off throttle and allow him a clean pass. That cost me 7.2 MPH at the start/finish. I've said it before and still believe this car, as it sits, still on stock Magneride and brake pads has a high 2:30's in it.

ra2021.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors