The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

H&rs race front springs k springs rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As the title states I found a good deal on some h&rs race springs but they are for the front, only so I was thinking of picking them up and leaving my k springs on the rear. Im not sure how they would handle with the front rate at 300(h&r rate) and the rear at 199(k spring rate). Also wasn’t sure about mixing manufacturers. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.
thanks
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
As the title states I found a good deal on some h&rs race springs but they are for the front, only so I was thinking of picking them up and leaving my k springs on the rear. Im not sure how they would handle with the front rate at 300(h&r rate) and the rear at 199(k spring rate). Also wasn’t sure about mixing manufacturers. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.
thanks
Steve

I don’t have a problem with the rates, as long as you have adequate damping and are willing to do what is needed to get the balance right with sway bar adjustments. But both are pretty low, and need a lot of adjustments for effects on geometry more than anything else, IMO.

I already have the k springs mounted and have the bump steer set for that height, well hopefully
It’s set right I want to recheck it this winter to make sure it’s right. And have rear lower control arm brackets so I should be okay I just wasn’t sure about mixing manufacturers and also the rates. From what I’ve been reading on this site it seems that a good track/street rate for coil overs I think is 450/250. So when I say these h&rs for sale I figured I could get a better spring rate on a budget

Grant 302

I’d consider tall ball joints too, especially since you have the bumpsteer kit. And you could always do that after you’ve tried the springs up front. I wouldn’t go with anything other than the Howe units. Seems like lots of failures from the X-11/Proforged ball joints.

I’d consider tall ball joints too, especially since you have the bumpsteer kit. And you could always do that after you’ve tried the springs up front. I wouldn’t go with anything other than the Howe units. Seems like lots of failures from the X-11/Proforged ball joints.

Oh damn really? I have the proforged balljoints and tie rod ends and so far so good but there are reports of failures? Hmm maybe I should get some Howe's. I've read the old fr500s Mustangs used the proforged stuff. Sorry didn't mean to thread jack btw. I think the spring combo would work to the op, it will give you more roll stiffness in the front and will be inline with what most of the race rates are but just softer across both axles.

I haven’t heard anything bad about the proforged units only the Steeda ones. I was considering picking them up a couple of years ago but came across Tmo were a couple of members seemed to have failures.

Grant 302

Maybe it’s a bit unfounded throwing Proforged in with Steeda’s X-11s. Proforged are also used on the BMR arms, and I’d throw those under the bus when it comes to reliability.

The Howes can and do break too. They are great ball joints, but need to be replaced as part of routine maintenance if you track your car hard and often.

TMO Supporting Vendors