The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help! Brake fluid leaking around bleed screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta
Recently got my Brembo's powder coated and rebuilt but now after each session on track I'm noticing fluid leaking from the bleed screws. I tried to replace all the screws but same issue is happening. Brakes appear to still be working fine after multiple sessions on track but does any one know what's going on here?

The shop that did the work tightened down the bleed screws with some crazy torque. Are the calipers done for?

IMG_3771.JPG

In the V6L
It's fixable, but it'll take some new parts. If the folks who did the work over-tightened the bleed screws, then the tapered seat the screw seals against is damaged. That's not repairable, but there is a way to keep using the calipers.

First, get a set of Stahlbus bleeder screws. They're discussed in this recent thread: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/best-bleeder-screw-does-that-exist.19211/

Second, get four of these: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3202 in copper in the AN-03 size. You might want to get some spares in case you have a learning moment installing them.

The fix is to remove the factory bleed screw, drop in a SECO 7 copper seal and get the small hole in it lined up with the small hole at the bottom of the caliper bleed screw opening. Then install and torque the Stahlbus bleed screw into place. I've done this trick with copper seals to stop leaks in a variety of brake connections - bleed screws, hard line fittings and crossover pipes and it's always worked for me. The reason you need to switch to the Stahlbus bleeders is that when you bleed the brakes, only the inner part of the Stahlbus fitting turns - the outer part that's sealed against the caliper never moves. If you do this with regular bleed screws, it might work once or twice, but the copper seal gets damaged if you tighten and loosen the screw multiple times.

It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than new calipers and a new paint job.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
I had the same thing happen with mine. My event was the day after, so I ended up removing the bleeder screw and wrapping ~3 turns of Teflon tape around the threads; and, voila, no more leaking after 8 hard sessions this past weekend. I will highly consider @JAJ suggestion for future events.

TMO Supporting Vendors