The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help - do I have these BMR a arms set for "max caster?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I'm trying to do maximum caster, camber, and set the toe to 0. with that in mind, with the rear of the arm pulled full towards outer edge of the car, as pictured, is that maximum caster or minimum? Thanks!20211101_163210.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm trying to do maximum caster, camber, and set the toe to 0. with that in mind, with the rear of the arm pulled full towards outer edge of the car, as pictured, is that maximum caster or minimum? Thanks!View attachment 69745
Yes.
However, I must ask you if you have the arms with the rod ends in the front or the bushing type.
If its the rod ends you are free to adjust away. If its the Bushing type I would be very careful about moving them very far from center as it could put the front bushing in a bind and these arms are known for breaking there due to angular loading/deflection of the front bushing under braking and cornering forces.
Putting it in a bind in steady state would compound this condition.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
This is a highly stressed component, particularly if you are running big brakes, slicks or sticky tires and performing threshold braking. Notice the rusted area, and then the fresh metal in this break. This tubing has been cracked for some time. Cracks will generally propagate from or along the edge of a weld. Generally, a good clue that a part is cracked, is by finding a hairline crack in the paint or coating. Once in a while. a crack may be sub-surface, and give no clues.

NDT inspection techniques, such as x-ray, eddy current, and similar inspection techniques will identify sub-surface cracks. After one or two track events, I put my car on the lift and perform a detailed visual inspection of the underside, giving special attention to the high stressed areas, and looking for any fasteners that might have backed off or failed.

Note, that BMR has since redesigned this lower arm, and has now made it available. Hope this helps someone!

TMO Supporting Vendors