The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help Identifying Front Coilovers & Rear Spring Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since penske is somewhat close by, head over there and have them put the fronts on a shock dyno and send charts to cortex, or ask penske for rear recommendations?

I recieved confirmation from Flip at Cortex that they did mfg the Shelby Xtreme Grip shocks and that they are essentially the Street Koni Cortex Xtreme Grip fronts. Now I need to decide if I just want to match them with them Koni Street rear coilovers or see about upgrading to JRI or Penske. Will be calling Flip when I have the funds to discuss the other options.

Grant 302 said:
................I'm sure there would be other/cheaper places to buy. My experience is limited, but after going through the relatively steep learning curve of adjusting the CorteX/JRi DA coil overs, I definitely prefer/need more adjustability for the rear/shocks. .................. I don't see how I could get 350 lb/in dialed in for tolerable (to me) street driving otherwise.

What settings on your DA's have you found is best for the street? I have 325lb/in rear springs, but haven't spent enough time adjusting them for the street yet.

Thanks,

Al

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Cherno134 said:
What settings on your DA's have you found is best for the street? I have 325lb/in rear springs, but haven't spent enough time adjusting them for the street yet.

Thanks,

Al

I'm normally carrying about 200lb of crap in the trunk on the street, so I think I'm running on the stiff side to control the mass. Roadways are pretty good here, so I don't know about 'best' settings for everyone, but I currently have it a -2/+6.

I need to do a lot more testing with the trunk empty...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Al- I forgot to mention my rear settings for rough freeways and transportation to the track, which I think might be more typical for other people's 'street use'. I use -21/+8 if I'm going to be on the freeway for more than 15 or 20 miles or so. That's what I'll be using for the trip North to Laguna Seca.

Grant-

Thanks for the two rear street setting data points.

With the exception of driving from the track on a fuel run, I have only driven on street was a quick spin around town just after the JRi install to make sure everything was buttoned up.

I found -14/+8 to be a good track setting for the rough pavement at Texas World Speedway last month - though I found that setting is a bit too stiff/bouncy on the street with an empty trunk. I'll give the -2/+6 a try, that setting is close to what CorteX recommended as a street starting point -3/+4.

TMO Supporting Vendors