The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help me pick my suspension....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronj said:
I have ground control coil overs and they have served me well. IMO they are the best bang for your buck.

If you are going to track the car I would stay clear of the ground control coil over kits. ( to many problems not up to the track quality ). I have the cortex Watts link ,ast coil overs,heavy front and rear springs , whiteline sway bars. I like the set up and works fine for me. Here is the but, I drove a 2013 with the full Griggs set up and it was sweet . Thats my 2 cents.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cobra700 said:
^Thanks.

Opinions on Steeda? Haven't heard much here. Am I wasting my time passing by?

I think their springs are a pretty safe bet, but we've got guys out here in race applications that won't touch Steeda stuff.

What kind of budget are you working with?

Yeah, budget and intended use will really drive the recommendations. There are differences between a competition car, a track car, a weekend fun car and a daily driver. Tire size (now or future) and compound, your experience level (and are you going to progress), and any rule set you need to keep the car legal for will also play into how I'd set the car up.

Sorry for he delay guys,

I swung by Steeda and talked to the sales guys and techs. Super nice guys. ESPECIALLY David I belive his name was. Guess he does the R&D there. He is the nicest and extreamly knowledgable tech I talked too. Showed me one of their track cars and went though the whole suspension with me. Just him alone made me want to do business there. Long story short, for the whole shebang at Steeda installed and all it would be close to 6k. That includes 20 hours of Labor. Nice thing would be is they are fairly local and it's their parts. Said life time warranty on parts....

My other options are:

-Griggs GR40SS System
-CorteX Xtreame-Grip System
-Vorshlag (still have to check on them)

Would have to find someone trustworthy in South Florida to install these and get me properly set up.
My budget is about 4k-5k for parts and she'll be daily driven for a while but want to rock her out at the track. NVH doesn't really bother me so would like her more track oriented. Would like to do some SCCA and/or NASA as well. Thanks!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I understand that Steeda is close for you and has a competent install facility, but if you're willing to spend $5-6K on stuff, you should really look at ANY of your other options listed; Steeda's stuff all seems aimed more at "agressive street" and "occasional track day" driving.

I have dealt with Vorshlag as well, and have been very happy with their service. I would be interested in what they recommend. Based on my interactions with them, I believe they would recommend the following. Please excuse this post if it's off.

Whiteline LCA and relos
Whiteline front/rear sways with end links
Whiteline Watts link
Vorshlag CC plates
AST or Moton coilovers

Negative on the UCA upgrade.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Cobra700 said:
Sorry for he delay guys,

I swung by Steeda and talked to the sales guys and techs. Super nice guys. ESPECIALLY David I belive his name was. Guess he does the R&D there. He is the nicest and extreamly knowledgable tech I talked too. Showed me one of their track cars and went though the whole suspension with me. Just him alone made me want to do business there. Long story short, for the whole shebang at Steeda installed and all it would be close to 6k. That includes 20 hours of Labor. Nice thing would be is they are fairly local and it's their parts. Said life time warranty on parts....

My other options are:

-Griggs GR40SS System
-CorteX Xtreame-Grip System
-Vorshlag (still have to check on them)

Would have to find someone trustworthy in South Florida to install these and get me properly set up.
My budget is about 4k-5k for parts and she'll be daily driven for a while but want to rock her out at the track. NVH doesn't really bother me so would like her more track oriented. Would like to do some SCCA and/or NASA as well. Thanks!!!

It would be interesting to see what Steeda is proposing for the car? Can you list parts. 20 hours at a full on speed shop with lifts and everything seems a little high IMO. But depends on what they are proposing.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Domestic Product said:
It would be interesting to see what Steeda is proposing for the car? Can you list parts. 20 hours at a full on speed shop with lifts and everything seems a little high IMO. But depends on what they are proposing.

Yeah, I bet not all the items they're talking 'bout are bolt on items.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm curious what that was for too...

I have trouble imagining taking 20 hours of shop time to install less than the 'certified Boss' package:

Steeda Watts Linkage Kit
Steeda Adjustable Coil Over Suspension System
Steeda/Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Struts
Steeda Adjustable Upper 3rd Link
Steeda Billet Lower Trailing Arms
Steeda Lower Trailing Arm Relocation Brackets
Steeda X11 Ball Joints
Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
Steeda Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Steeda Competition Front Swaybar
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Steeda Rear Shifter Bracket Bushing
Steeda “5.0” Billet Oil Separator
Steeda Pro-Flow Boss 302 Cold Air Intake Kit
Steeda Custom Boss 302 Powertrain Calibration
Steeda Axle Back Exhaust System
Steeda High Output Ignition Coils
Steeda Rear 13” Slotted Brake upgrade kit
HRE P44SC Monoblok 20×9.5 front and 20×11 billet aluminum wheels
Nitto NT05 Performance Tires (275/35ZR20 front, 315/35ZR20 rear)

Grant 302 said:
I'm curious what that was for too...

I have trouble imagining taking 20 hours of shop time to install less than the 'certified Boss' package:

just the wheels in this list are $6K

The quote was for pretty much all their suspension stuff. No wheels or CAI or tune. I agree 20 hours seems a bit steep but I guess that's what the "book" calls for. I'm sure the tech can get it all done in a lot less. Well with all the reccomendations from you guys and researching I have decided between the Griggs and Cortex.
Now I gotta decide between those 2 lol. The suspension has been delayed by about 2 months or so since I found a few rust bubbles on my hood. Ford said there is a TSB and they'll repaint the whole hood but still pisses me off. So it looks like I'll be doing the Tiger hood, 302s grill, brake ducts, trans scoop and Steeda wing first.
Thanks again!

P.S.- which trans scoop seems better? The Ford one or Shelby? Thanks.

Cobra700 said:
Buy the least expensive and you owe me a beer with your savings. ;D

hi guys I went with steeda for street got springs polished lca adjustable uca adjustable
panhard bar braded clutch cable and shifter base bushing all for 1,300.oo

So, what suspension did you end up going with? I'm trying to decide between the Cortex Xtreme grip street and the GR40SS.

Cobra700 said:
The quote was for pretty much all their suspension stuff. No wheels or CAI or tune. I agree 20 hours seems a bit steep but I guess that's what the "book" calls for. I'm sure the tech can get it all done in a lot less. Well with all the reccomendations from you guys and researching I have decided between the Griggs and Cortex.
Now I gotta decide between those 2 lol. The suspension has been delayed by about 2 months or so since I found a few rust bubbles on my hood. Ford said there is a TSB and they'll repaint the whole hood but still pisses me off. So it looks like I'll be doing the Tiger hood, 302s grill, brake ducts, trans scoop and Steeda wing first.
Thanks again!

TMO Supporting Vendors