The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

High oil temp (overheating at track)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grille set-up that was an inexpensive option (a bit more expensive than the alternative of removing completely).
- Billet grille from AAM P/N 41124 ~$54 https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-retro-grille-2010.html and bought
- New aftermarket surround from Rockauto ~$47 p/n FO1210105/#AR3Z8419AA https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2012,mustang,5.0l+v8,1501235,body,grille+molding,11444
- Need to drill a couple holes in the surround for mounting, but easy. As noted earlier, remember to protect the bumper when removing
- The original
fog lamp/grille assemble is in stored in the garage as one set
Sandwich plate, if yours is the setrab sandwich plate it seals with a Dowty Sealing Washer not an o-ring. They are only ~$1/each and need to be ordered separate if Cooltech did not include when they sent the fittings. The fittings on a Setrab cooler use an o-ring.

Temperature sensor, the easy option is to have in the plate, but since the setrab didn't have a port or an great area in the casting with much meat, the swivel adapter identified above was used and is working. Unfortunately another couple of joints to keep an eye on. Even with a thermostat there is some flow thru the cooler so this worked well for my set-up.

Gages, the one I used was pricey and overkill, but wanted a peak capture and idiot light that could be set. https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-oil-temp-100-340-f-fse-w-peak-warn.html For mounting I also used the rousch vent mount set-up in the left vent. The location is slightly blocked, but is easy to see the top of the gage.

I put the cooltech oil cooler on today.. very simple install except the brackets had to be bent inward to contact the setrab cooler. So i just added washers put linger fasteners in .. not much room for fingers or tools there.

Its a stout piece and gets real hot. Amazes me how much flow the condenser blocks though.
---------
First track day complete, Waterford Hills, MI. It was a 90F day super muggy rained in the morning. Car never went into limp mode I don't have an oil temp gage so no clue on temps but the car never complained!

Last edited:
Continuing to find more ways to battle the oil/coolant temps. This year added:
- Trackspec hood vents
- Mesh grille: To increase airflow built a custom upper grille

Materials: Hex aluminum mesh sheet (custom car grill) and Modern Billet Retro Grill Black (American Muscle)

Process:
- Used a Dremel Multi-tool and cut all of the horizontal bar sections except the ones connecting the attachment tabs (the top two at the ends). Kept the vertical supports
- Painted the aluminum cut areas black
- Used the grille as the template for the perforated mesh keeping ~1” additional material on all sides
- Using the grille as a form, bent the edges of the mesh around. Corner cut the edges to allow bending
- Zip tied the grill onto the vertical supports
- Watch the plastic surround for scratches (I should have used painters tape during dry fitting)

Results: Again not greatly scientific, but the combination of the hood vents and grille showed improvements.

Comparison: same track as last year Gingerman, air temps mid-80’s, 60+% humidity. Sensors oil temp on inlet line before oil cooler and coolant temp reading from OB2 (inferred temp).

Two noticeable improvements:
- Oil temp could get up to 280F before coolant temp was in more critical zone of 235F (dash gage at the 3/4+ mark). Prior, at @265F oil and the coolant was 235+.
- The biggest difference was once load was removed the coolant temps came down first independent of the oil temps. So on a 30 minute session, once temps came up did a easier lower RPM lap and the temps came down. Much more manageable than the prior set-up with the vertical grill and closed hood.

Attached is a picture

Attachments

• 63A87678-E21B-46FC-880E-4C0BE86B7DEE.jpeg
    63A87678-E21B-46FC-880E-4C0BE86B7DEE.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 163

TMO Supporting Vendors