The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Welp, I couldn't handle the rats nest my original PDM/ECU layout created trying to get all the circuits integrated and ran through the bulkhead. After a couple of weeks of trying to get over it, I gave in to the inevitable and ripped it out and moved the PDM/ECU behind the passenger seat. Not seen is a plate the electronics sit so they can come out as a unit.
IMG_2616.JPG

About 75% done with the new wiring harnesses that integrate with the rest of the car. Just waiting on two boots and then I can pin and reinstall the bulkheads
IMG_2642.JPG

Also finally quit procrastinating and got to work on the rear bulkhead. This sucker has been TEDIOUSIMG_2644.JPG

In the V6L
Welp, I couldn't handle the rats nest my original PDM/ECU layout created trying to get all the circuits integrated and ran through the bulkhead. After a couple of weeks of trying to get over it, I gave in to the inevitable and ripped it out and moved the PDM/ECU behind the passenger seat. Not seen is a plate the electronics sit so they can come out as a unit.
View attachment 94358

About 75% done with the new wiring harnesses that integrate with the rest of the car. Just waiting on two boots and then I can pin and reinstall the bulkheads
View attachment 94357

Also finally quit procrastinating and got to work on the rear bulkhead. This sucker has been TEDIOUSView attachment 94356
With the electronics on the floor, could rain become a problem?

TX
With the electronics on the floor, could rain become a problem?
I don't think so. They technically float about 1in off the floor pan and I've never had an issue with water pooling there - even in some pretty wet conditions. The electronics are also IP water resistant, so should be good. But we'll see3BC31C91-32DA-4B9F-BD0A-3C5D95D3B88A.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I just installed this one https://competitionmotorsport.com/c...zero-360-fia-3-0kg-novec-1230-electric-system

Electrically triggered - can put buttons to trigger any where - only two wires. Super easy install and this foam won't corrode your interior/engine bay and ruin everything if you need to deploy.

I also added this to trigger if I am ever passed out and the car is burning https://www.bimmerworld.com/Safety-...feline-Protectowire-Heat-Detection-Cable.html

Thank you, ordered that one as well.

TX
What’s the aero package looking like? Still going with the active aero?
Not a whole lot different than where I was before tear down except for an added rear diffuser and ducted/sloped radiator up front. Longer term, will add a bigger splitter with tunnels and the active wing in the back for some DRS :)

In the V6L
I don't think so. They technically float about 1in off the floor pan and I've never had an issue with water pooling there - even in some pretty wet conditions. The electronics are also IP water resistant, so should be good. But we'll seeView attachment 94367
That's great, but with all the cutting and chopping you've done to the chassis since the picture was taken, are there possibly new pathways for water to get in? If you have room to mount the electronics 2" off the floor, it might be worth it.

TX
That's great, but with all the cutting and chopping you've done to the chassis since the picture was taken, are there possibly new pathways for water to get in? If you have room to mount the electronics 2" off the floor, it might be worth it.
Anything is possible, but I really don't think so. I've actually closed up more holes/gaps than before--been placing a special amount of attention to fix areas that debris can get in the car.

Don't think I can lift them higher - the wires need to run under the seat and things are a tight fit. But we'll see what happens. I am not worried about it - everything is sealed and weather-resistant and it's not like the car sits outside. It's spent more time on a lift than on the ground at this point 🤣

TX
Custom front crash bar/tow hook setup is complete. Bar is right up against the bumper, maximizing clearance to the radiator for the future ducting. Not the most meticulously fabricated piece, but it should be plenty strong and super functional.

IMG_2659.JPG

I have the wiring 98% buttoned up - just need to document final install. Also got the new pedal box in - just working on some plumbing changes now. Will share more details tonight/tomorrow AM.

Getting closer to first start and (hopefully) test drive!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Custom front crash bar/tow hook setup is complete. Bar is right up against the bumper, maximizing clearance to the radiator for the future ducting. Not the most meticulously fabricated piece, but it should be plenty strong and super functional.

View attachment 94516

I have the wiring 98% buttoned up - just need to document final install. Also got the new pedal box in - just working on some plumbing changes now. Will share more details tonight/tomorrow AM.

Getting closer to first start and (hopefully) test drive!
what air cleaner is that?

TX
TX
More progress. The wiring is done. Just need to start the car and verify before I heat shrink the remaining boots. Will take pics tonight after I clean up the mess I made yesterday chasing a few pins/sockets that had been swapped.

I did relocate the reservoir tank to the cage for easy access/checking. No spillage in the car and still out of the way.

IMG_2675.JPG

The only thing left is some clean up on the pedal box and she's ready to start. Still waiting on the base tune and getting scheduled at the dyno. Really hope to fire it up this week/weekend. We'll see.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wyoming
More progress. The wiring is done. Just need to start the car and verify before I heat shrink the remaining boots. Will take pics tonight after I clean up the mess I made yesterday chasing a few pins/sockets that had been swapped.

I did relocate the reservoir tank to the cage for easy access/checking. No spillage in the car and still out of the way.

View attachment 94633

The only thing left is some clean up on the pedal box and she's ready to start. Still waiting on the base tune and getting scheduled at the dyno. Really hope to fire it up this week/weekend. We'll see.
Best thoughts going to you. My selfish is seeing your often parallel development, but literal mountains more personal labor and dedicated racing effort, to get insight into my car.

My set up is custom cross plane, Dailey dry sump, MoTeC management but retaining OE can-bus chassis electronics. All still in progress. Will I be able to use the “Track Mode” least intrusive settings to really let my new engine sing? I’ll have a 9000 redline, ITB responsive, switchable 500-700 hp dream to unleash. My decision to do the expensive engine before big chassis modification stemmed from my battle with the oil filter spinning off the way too vibe happy 93mm stroke flat plane crank. My car will still be streetable and for another good 50k miles hopefully.

GT3 and GT4 aspirations coming if I ever recover financially.

TX
Got the wiring buttoned up last night and happy with how everything came out considering it's me. I'll do an in-depth overview video of what's what and how they all integrate in a future overview video. Running like mad to get the car fired this week

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel