The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 How crazy have you gotten cutting sheet metal out of your sn95?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How crazy have you gotten trying to save weight on your track car? Pictures?

Im looking to cut some weight from my sn95 track car. Already have all the interior stripped and full cage. Still need to cut the structure out of the doors and deck lid.

Can i cut out that rear shelf where the speakers used to be without sacrificing chassis rigidity? How about the inner structure below the littler rear triangle windows?

Any thoughts on measuring chassis rigidity, or strength, or whatever I am giving up as I cut out structure? I am thinking it might be fun to provide some data for others as I go down this route. If I do some static test like support 3 wheels and measure the sag down at a chassis point near the unsupported wheel would that be a good indication?

looking at cutting out these areas in red to be specific.

cut.PNG

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
the part where the speakers sit i cut out, as for the access area to the quarter vents that can be cut out if youve got a cage in. the cage starts to take more of the structural rigidity job

Always blown away by the response of this group. Thank you!!

crazy how far guerrilla has taken it. Dont think i will take it that far!
584CD765-4811-4005-9D81-8F5FC977B1BB.png

My cage has down bars from main hoop to the shock towers.

9C631CC3-3755-499F-9E7A-A01E996A2180.jpeg15FE3191-B039-4CB1-B413-61D6D9D24F90.jpegADA34B6B-EE3D-46CF-8C8C-E4DFAA9B7EDA.jpeg

probably worth adding bar between shock towers. Possibly complete the bottom of the triangle from shock tower to bottom of main hoop. Possibly large x between down bars and main hoop. Possibly bracing main hoop to existing body. Just want to make sure i dont add more weight then i reduce! Im guessing my rear could be stiffened up as the car pushes - dont have problems with rear coming around yet.

Always blown away by the response of this group. Thank you!!

crazy how far guerrilla has taken it. Dont think i will take it that far!
View attachment 70229

My cage has down bars from main hoop to the shock towers.

View attachment 70230View attachment 70231View attachment 70232

probably worth adding bar between shock towers. Possibly complete the bottom of the triangle from shock tower to bottom of main hoop. Possibly large x between down bars and main hoop. Possibly bracing main hoop to existing body. Just want to make sure i dont add more weight then i reduce! Im guessing my rear could be stiffened up as the car pushes - dont have problems with rear coming around yet.

Ahhh ok, I saw in the post that you said it had a full cage, but didn't put 2+2 together that that picture in the post wasn't your car. So I was a bit confused there and figured, "Hey maybe a full cage means different things to different people." 🤷‍♂️

Probably should've peeped your profile again, but that's why I made that suggestion. I promis I reed gud!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel