The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to bleed 2005+ ABS modules from your garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This writeup is for bleeding old fluid/air out of your ABS module from your garage.

Parts you will need:
OHP ELMconfig ELM327 - Wiring harness to connect to FORScan and the OBD
FORScan (you do not need a license)

Open FORScan and make sure the Connection options in Settings match this (if using the OHP ELMconfig ELM327 adapter)
1614635376915.png

Click on the car icon (Vehicle and interface information) and click "Connect to vehicle" (bottom left button) then follow the instructions that are presented.
Once FORScan connects to the vehicle, click on the wrench icon (Service functions), select "ABS Service Bleed" and click the play button.
A warning will pop up letting you know to use the service manual for this..click OK.
On the next pop up it will tell you to depress the brake pedal and hold, which is a two person job, but I use a Motive Power Pressure Brake Bleeder. So, when you click OK, just open the bleeder screw and allow the fluid to be pushed out but close it just before the percentage bar completes.
Repeat this for each wheel and finish bleeding the lines normally and you should be good to go!

Now just finish bleeding the lines normally and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Folsom, CA
This writeup is for bleeding old fluid/air out of your ABS module from your garage.

Parts you will need:
OHP ELMconfig ELM327 - Wiring harness to connect to FORScan and the OBD
FORScan (you do not need a license)

Open FORScan and make sure the Connection options in Settings match this (if using the OHP ELMconfig ELM327 adapter)
View attachment 63049

Click on the car icon (Vehicle and interface information) and click "Connect to vehicle" (bottom left button) then follow the instructions that are presented.
Once FORScan connects to the vehicle, click on the wrench icon (Service functions), select "ABS Service Bleed" and click the play button.
A warning will pop up letting you know to use the service manual for this..click OK.
On the next pop up it will tell you to depress the brake pedal and hold, which is a two person job, but I use a Motive Power Pressure Brake Bleeder. So, when you click OK, just open the bleeder screw and allow the fluid to be pushed out but close it just before the percentage bar completes.
Repeat this for each wheel and finish bleeding the lines normally and you should be good to go!

Now just finish bleeding the lines normally and you're good to go.

in trying this on my car, I get a quick fail after 'energizing valves' occurs - how to troubleshoot this?

1706901013281.png

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Folsom, CA
I've been using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth on 4 vehicles with zero issues

the car I'm building has a Gen3 coyote and separate GT500 ABS module (using 2009 build from Forscan team)
installed an OBDII port just for the ABS and added the resistor as well
1706910409099.png

I'd double check your wiring but I'd assume it's correct if you're able to communicate with the ABS at all. I have an extra adapter (the same one I used previously) you can have if you pay for shipping (dm me if interested), otherwise I'd reach out to the forscan team, they were very helpful to me previously.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel