The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to install an AIM MXL2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just finished up installing the AIM MXL2. I’ve been waiting for this unit to come on the market for some time, and in searching the web, found that Peter Krause is a distributor who had early units in stock. I hadn't heard of Peter prior to December, but having dealt with him, I highly recommend him to anyone looking for AIM gear (more on this later): www.peterkrause.net

I ordered the MXL2, GPS unit, CAN Data Hub and SmartyCam HD and 4 patch cables to tie in to my Autometer Elite gauges, together with the long Data cables for both the GPS and SmartyCam:

FullSizeRender_zpsbfbc2587.JPG

Peter configured the MXL2 to my specs, including Autometer gage data output calibration, specific to each of my gauges, threshold warning points for Diff temp, oil temp, Oil Pressure and Coolant, RPM shift thresholds, and Mustang ECU CAN calibration and track GPS data for all my favorite tracks, at no cost!

Step 1 was to up load the configuration data from the MXL2 to AIM’s PC management software RS3. This requires an external 12 volt feed to the MXL2 and a USB cable. RS3 allows you to view and modify the configuration data. Everything looked good, so I moved on to the physical install.

Step 2 is to remove the Steering Wheel. If you have the stock wheel, you need to ensure that the clock spring position is maintained. I have the Sparco/Ford Racing Wheel, so no worries there. Then remove the upper shroud – remove the two screws underneath the lower shroud then rotate the rear of the upper shroud upwards, with the column lowered to its lowest position

IMG_1523_zpshmpeammz (2).JPG
I got the mounting plate from Watson. Assume this is for the original AIM device:

IMG_1457_zpsr5jvtvcw.JPG

It required a liitle modification for the MXL2 and the Sparco wheel mounting hub:

IMG_1460_zpsk8inaen9.JPG

I then drilled small pilot holes in the lower upper and lowershroud to secure the mounting plate with self tapping screws. Photo below shows self tapping screws in lower shroud with upper shroud removed for wiring loom installation:

IMG_1523_zpshmpeammz (2).JPG

The wiring loom has adequate length connections for the CAN bus, 12 volt switched feed and USB connection. Extension patch cables are needed for any gage data outputs. The Can Data Bus has it’s own short extension cable which just reaches the center stack under the CD player:

IMG_1521_zpsjbvrsurz.JPG

With the steering column still fully lowered take the wiring loom and install from the top of the column:

IMG_1465_zpsqa2wldk8.JPG
Then reinstall upper shroud:

IMG_1527_zpsdoqlfqwt.JPG

Next install the mounting plate. I used 4 self tapping screws. If you have the Sparco wheel, the hub has to be re-installed next (the flange sits behind the lower side of the MXL2). Finally install the MXL2 to the mounting plate:

IMG_1529_zps720a0e01.JPG

To provide clearance to the Sparco wheel hub, I used ½” spacers between the mounting plate and the MXL2 mounts:

IMG_1532_zpsznwnhelg.JPG
Next remove the top of the center consul and the HVAC/Audio panel:

IMG_1419_zps6kmpanzw.JPG

I then removed the Audio control module (this is optional, my car is used mainly on the track, I have no need of audio and it provides more space for the gauge/ AIM hub wiring):

IMG_1422_zpsld98nfzg.JPG

There are 3 connectors on the rear of the Audio module, the antenna cable has no securing tab, but is very tight:

IMG_1541_zpstuy1wtrm.JPG

The center stack with the ACM removed:

IMG_1550_zpsjji2sbou.JPG

The CAN Bus data hub has a cable with a screw connector that connects to the MXL2 wiring loom:

IMG_1524_zpsno7mi6fh.JPG

I mounted the data hub to the IP frame behind the location of the Audio control module:

IMG_1554_zpswzfu1jqf.JPG

Next I connected the Autometer gauge data output leads (Yellow/Black - GND) to the AIM patch cables (White/Black -GND) for Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Coolant Temp (center IP):

IMG_1579_zpssj63u26u.JPG

and Diff Temp (A-Pillar).

IMG_1466_zps0ejjzzpa (1).JPG

The ground connection can also be seen in the photo above. I tied the 12 volt switched power feed into the same feed used for the Autometer gauges. For the CAN bus connection, rather than splice into the main harness, I made up a short patch cable, and un clipped the original OBD 2 port:

IMG_1520_zpsxg9ra6hd.JPG

I then inserted the patch cable, an secured the end on the new cable in the original location (CAN+ is pin 6, CAN- is pin 14, GND is pin 5):

IMG_1467_zpsgprm4gas.JPG
Next I moved on to install the GPS sensor:

IMG_1557_zpsosdhfxys.JPG

It has a magnetic base, do I made up a steel plate and tapped it to attach to a Maglite spring clip to attach to the rear Roll bar:

IMG_1562_zpsnovynjrm (1).JPG

Then mounted the spring clip and GPS:

IMG_1572_zpsb5r22ulw.JPG

Installed the SmartyCam on the Roll Bar:

IMG_1568_zpsvpmboibr.JPG

Zip tied the SmartyCam and GPS cables to the Roll Bar, removed the LH door sill plate and ran the cables under the carpet to the front wheel well:

IMG_1564_zps2pqirsb0 (1).JPG

Then under the IP to the data hub in the center stack.

With the install complete, it was time to test. Fired up and no RPM readout, everything else OK. After an hour or so of diagnosis, I figured out that there was a bug in the AIM 2011 Mustang ECU configuration file! I guess I must have been the first 2011+ Mustang install. Both Peter and AIM were awesome – they had a bug fix to me in less than 1 Business day.

All set now:

IMG_1560_zpsqwykuhgk.JPG

IMG_1559_zpsm2n28rj9.JPG

One last observation. Removing the Audio Control Module results in this in the display:

IMG_1580_zpshwtm3bth.JPG

Still trying to figure out the pin out config, so I can ditch the HVAC panel without the blower defaulting to full on……..

Last edited:
Great write-up on the install.

So this allows you to view all the data normally seen on the can network plus the additional auto meter sensors? And then you can choose some for the screen? Or does this use a rolling screen? I have not looked at the wiring diagram for my '12, but could you disconnect the blower motor directly and add in an on/ off or possibly rheostat switch? Typically there is main power/ ground and then the signal routed through the CCM. At any rate, nice write up and SUPER cool monitoring device!

Tulsa, OK
Black Boss said:
Still trying to figure out the pin out config, so I can ditch the HVAC panel without the blower defaulting to full on……..

You just take out the blower and all other HVAC components. Problem solved. ;D

Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time to share. Looks like an awesome setup.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel