The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Idle problems 2019 s550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
Hey guys, I own a 2019 mustang GT 10-speed automatic. This past Monday, I experienced a rough idle & a change in rpms when I was at the red light. Never done that before. I thought nothing of it but it kept doing it again. I changed the spark plugs, I took it a quick lane by the ford dealership & they didn’t find anything wrong with it. They checked for codes. Only thing that popped up was “unexpected RPM change on crank”. I only have a resonator delete & cat back delete. Nothing else is done to the vehicle. Any ideas of would could be wrong with it? Could it be a vacuum leak? Exhaust leak causing the issue? I’m not sure. Next thing was to replace the ignition coils. Anything helps! Thanks guy!

4C699E4D-6358-4E83-AF2C-55EE807B57B4.jpeg

B9098A27-95BA-4E3A-83EF-55C7F225C2FF.jpeg

764492A3-8C68-476B-A3F8-B32C706F22F7.jpeg

C6AF973E-4F4D-4D2E-A1D0-D3C1FC7E25C1.jpeg

Regarding the test, this might be worth reading Part 1 of this article: https://autoditex.com/page/relative-compression-test-67-1.html
tldr: A failure on this test would mean you have a compression issue by monitoring the voltage requirements during cranking. A higher draw means the starter is working harder to overcome a larger amount of compression. A lower draw means the starter isn't working as hard - less compression. The test compares cylinders relative to each other, so while a quick test it may not be perfect. You can read further into the pros and cons in the article.
I would assume Ford is using it's onboard 'smart' battery handling system to detect the voltage requirements during cranking. I'd check if your electrical connections on the battery are all secure, as that could impact both the test and normal driving, and that your battery is generally in good health. You may also want to check the engine compression manually to verify or debunk the 'relative' compression test findings. Additionally, if you find this is only a problem during idle, it may be good peace of mind to do a throttle body reset so it can re-learn the idle trim.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel