The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Install of original LS splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I still have in the original splitter in the box that came with 2013 LS711. I thought I would install it on the car this weekend.
I know some of you have installed the splitter on your Boss. Is there anything special I need to be aware of when proceeding this weekend. I thought I remember someone saying to get longer bolts because the ones provided are too short. If so what length is preferred? Anything else? Thanks as always, I appreciate the help.

Where you located...I'm planning on doing mine this weekend too! I'm in SoCal.

Anyways...here are a couple of instructions that I have found. I'm wondering which one is correct as they are both Ford but slightly different.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstM-LAGUNA-KITA.pdf

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-16601-MBA.pdf

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
johna said:
I thought I remember someone saying to get longer bolts because the ones provided are too short. If so what length is preferred? Anything else? Thanks as always, I appreciate the help.

The supplied hardware is correct and it is of high quality materials. Remember you have to remove the the smaller "street" splitter then install the LS splitter.

I too remember a Member post in regard to "LS Splitter Blew Off", above 100 MPH???, but looking at the pics of the aftermath, it appeared as though the LS splitter was installed under the Street splitter.

IIRC, You will have to install the 4 clip nuts in the center, front part of the splitter. Then make sure the center of the splitter is level, (flat), when adjusting the support braces.

Good luck with your install and post pics when your done.
Dave
2HP

20150808_130348_zpskllozccv.jpg

Remove the smaller street splitter..... I am a bit confused I think all of the images i see have off 2013 LS have it installed under the street splitter. Even the intall pics show that too. Do you mean that some of the screws need to be installed in some of the holes shared by the street splitter, thats why you must remove it. Again all the pics (google search) I see of the 2013 have it under the street splitter. Doing the splitter tomorrow morning.... wound up changing the pads today. But i dont want it coming off.... unless due to driver error. :)

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
the street splitter remains in his position. 2 or 4 screws, i don't remember exactly, are bit short, but it works.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
johna said:
Remove the smaller street splitter..... I am a bit confused I think all of the images i see have off 2013 LS have it installed under the street splitter. Even the intall pics show that too. Do you mean that some of the screws need to be installed in some of the holes shared by the street splitter, thats why you must remove it. Again all the pics (google search) I see of the 2013 have it under the street splitter. Doing the splitter tomorrow morning.... wound up changing the pads today. But i dont want it coming off.... unless due to driver error. :)

Sorry, I gave you 2012 LS Splitter instruction. Glad I posted a pic. Buland has a 2013 Boss 302 LS, see his post above.

Dave
302 HP

OK
Did the job this morning....OK here's some things I learned.
1. The second set of instructions tell you to put the deflector on last. So following the instructions I install the splitter...only to realize you can't put on the deflector last.... so out come 20 bolts or 21 bolts. Then intalled the lower deflector and then the splitter again.
2. The 4 bolts described as 8m X 45 are really 6m X 45 and I had to run to the hardware store to get 6m X 55...needed the extra length.

Other than that all went well....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Does anyone make a hardware kit for installing the LS splitter? I have the splitter itself and the support bracket, but no tie rods or hardware. Can I just use the same bolts that hold the stock splitter on?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LikeABauce302 said:
Does anyone make a hardware kit for installing the LS splitter? I have the splitter itself and the support bracket, but no tie rods or hardware. Can I just use the same bolts that hold the stock splitter on?

I used the stock bolts and later upgraded to a black hex head flat head screw from Fastenal. They sit flush and look right. The bottom of my splitter had countersunk holes.

There are 4 long bolts 45 × 6 and then 18 or 19 smaller 6mm bolts with clips. Again, I replaced the 45 mm with 5th ones.

johna said:
There are 4 long bolts 45 × 6 and then 18 or 19 smaller 6mm bolts with clips. Again, I replaced the 45 mm with 5th ones.

Yeah...my kit had the bolts, but only 4 clips. Sounds like a run to NAPA

The holes on my splitter are not lining up with the holes/j-nuts on the stock splitter. Is there a difference between a 12 and 13 splitter maybe?

The part number on my box is CM-16A601-M50BOSS
Says splitter kit w/o bracket.

My car is a 2013 LS. The splitter I got from the PO.

It looks like you have the right part. Hopefully you have this one

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22733

and not this one

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13123

VooDooBOSS said:
It looks like you have the right part. Hopefully you have this one

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22733

and not this one

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13123

Mine looks like the second one. It doesn't have that little lip that runs across the top like the first one.
Also in looking at the instructions on the 2012 model, it only came with 4 J-nuts...which mine only had 4 and not the 18 on the later model.

Looks like I have the wrong part. Also looks like I can't even make this splitter fit without some major effort. Maybe I can just drill new holes.

VooDooBOSS said:
I'm not familiar with the 2013 splitter so I'm no help there. Drilling new holes shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't compromise existing holes but I have no idea if it will fit properly. The 2012 splitter is just a flat piece of plastic and easy to replicate. Member @101blur might know the differences. Calling Sam.

I went ahead and just took off the stock splitter, laid it on top of the big splitter, marked and drilled new holes. Only 2 were close to the existing but they worked. Put back on the stock splitter, then the big splitter. All is good!

I think I'll go ahead and put a piece of trim between the stock and new splitter like the 2013 should have.

Thanks for your guys' help.

vrinner said:
Mine looks like the second one. It doesn't have that little lip that runs across the top like the first one.
Also in looking at the instructions on the 2012 model, it only came with 4 J-nuts...which mine only had 4 and not the 18 on the later model.

Looks like I have the wrong part. Also looks like I can't even make this splitter fit without some major effort. Maybe I can just drill new holes.
Yep, I put on my splitter last weekend, the 2013 does have the lip that runs under the original stock splitter.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Curious as to the angle of the LS chin splitter. Mine is running about 5 degrees down all around. Is it suppose to be level for it to work properly? No engineer here but I would think angled down up front would create more down force on the front end. I didn't see anything in the instructions. What are you guys running?

TMO Supporting Vendors