The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Intercooler pump relocation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for suggestions of ideas for relocating supercharger intercooler pump location. Have to move for brake cooling hose. Currently pump is on lower left frame rail in front of the wheel.
Please don’t turn this thread into a discussion about superchargers on Track cars, I know most people are against them. Thanks

It’s disassembled now,horns are up high on the radiator support . The pump was mounted on the stock tie down on the driver side frame rail. Might have found a spot on the rear of the bumper bar, need to put the bumper cover on again to see if there’s enough room

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
How about making a bracket that uses the tie down hole that sits above and outward from the duct? It would protect the duct and move the pump outward.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
The pump makers generally recommend horizontal mounting. I put mine behind the bumper and outside the frame rail on the right side but the same room exists on the drivers side too. Fortunately for you (unfortunately for me) the car is apart. Here's what it looks like....
pump.jpg

Here are some general tips for pump installs copied from https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12...oolers-heat-exchangers-circulation-pumps.html

There are some long-established golden rules for installing (centrifugal) pumps, including:
• The pump inlet pressure should be as high as possible.
• Therefore the pump should be located at the lowest point in the system.
• Locate the pump after the radiator, to keep it as cool as possible.
• Mount the pump horizontally, to minimise bearing end loads.
• To avoid air locks, the outlet should be at the top of the pump, and must not point down.
• The pump's pressure/flow characteristics should be matched to the system resistance curve to achieve best performance.
• Don't run a pump into an excessively high or low resistance, or it will fail quickly.
• Keep air and contaminants out of the system.
• Finally - feed the pump from the BOTTOM of the radiator, to minimise air ingestion.

A lot more info...
http://www.s197forum.com/threads/comprehensive-ic-water-pump-system-test-data.125019/

Last edited:
First, thanks for your help and the pictures. Once I figured that I could mount it horizontally, it was just a matter of making new mounts and a little hose re-routing. While researching this I opened myself up to a whole new world of Intercooler tanks and pumps. You can dump some serious cash on some of these systems and the ice tanks that fill up your trunk. Just when I thought there wasn't going to be any new major expenditures, I had to get exposed to a new candy store of shiney custom made aluminum tanks, gonna have to send my wife back to work;)

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I've been through this. The 2013 GT500 pump is the same as a Pierburg CWA50. The only reason that is important is because CWA50's are priced lower than a GT500 pump (damn ford markups)

The 2013 GT500 heat exchanger is as big as you are going fit in the nose without a bunch of fabwork. I also added a Moroso supercharger coolant tank to the battery location. The battery went to the trunk where god intended it to be :). This setup is about as good as it gets without being ridiculous. With this setup the limitation ends up being the intercooler in the intake can only extract so much heat.

Also, take some time and make radiator fences so that all the air goes through them and not around them. It takes some time but its not hard and its worth the effort. Thin aluminum sheet metal and 3m double sided tape works. I'm sure thats not how @Fabman would do it. But thats what I did and it helped quite a bit.

The Moroso tank needed bigger bungs welded in for bigger fittings but other than that it fits well. I can take a pic if you're interested.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/moroso-coolanttank-0510.html?utm_content=Engine - Radiator|Moroso&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=blue&T5_Var4=14409&intl=0&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium&gclid=CLHw8sWY-dkCFcKUxQIdnIMEog&gclsrc=ds

Last edited:
I've seen a couple cars with these tanks and my battery is already in the trunk (as god intended). Do the tanks have coiled alum tubing in them and do you eliminate to tank over the radiator or still use that one to de-gas?

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
There is nothing in the tank. But it holds 3 quarts. Water comes in at the top and out the bottom. It adds some volume to the system and works as a degas tank. The water isn't really aerated much anyway. So you do not need another tank anywhere.

My water flows out the bottom of the Moroso tank, into the pump, then in the right side of the heat exchanger, out the left side, into the left side of the intercooler, out the right side and back in the top of the tank. With the cwa50 pump, 3/4" hoses and only two 90 deg fittings, it flows like a garden hose. When I got to this point, I said I'm done thats good enough.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
No. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, just never bothered with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors