The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

jack pads to fit rear of the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw a guy running his Boss at a track in Michigan over Labor Day Weekend. He had a neat magnetic jack pad that worked for the rear of the Boss. He said that it was discontinued. I see a nice one for the front at https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/shop-for-gear/jackpads-magpads/mustang-premium-jackpads-detail
I don't want to bother with putting grooves in a hockey puck or bolting a plate onto my car. If I get a flat on my occasional open track day, I want to be able to change the front or rear tire. Can anyone help?

BTW...Just got my Boss this summer and that was my first open track experience. Awesome! Better than Cedar Point. ;)

I'll have to look at that thread and talk to some friends some more. I'm a bit cautious of drilling holes in the pinch seam if I'm really only tracking the car 2-4 times per year on open track days. I appreciate the feedback. Any other ideas?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
you could just buy them and place them on the pinch weld overtime you want to jack the car up...when you're done just pull them off...that's an option. I'm not worried about drilling a small hole because you will do far more damage to the pinch weld by placing a jack on it without this jack plate. I would even go as far to say you are compromising the rigidity even more by bending the weld than placing a small hole in it. Something to think about

I use a foot long 2x4 piece of wood and it works fine. it distributes the load along the length of the wood on the pinch weld, so it doesn't bend.
I have purchased the jack pad (that requires drilling) but haven't installed it yet.

keithwil said:
I'll have to look at that thread and talk to some friends some more. I'm a bit cautious of drilling holes in the pinch seam if I'm really only tracking the car 2-4 times per year on open track days. I appreciate the feedback. Any other ideas?
I've had them on my car for over two years and jack it up several times before and during a track weekend and absolutely no issues. I did bend the pinch weld without them. One of the best (and cheapest) upgrades on my Boss.

Bay Area
I've used the ZL 1 add ons in the past. They were the older 1st generation nylon or plastic ones. They worked great but couldn't withstand the weight over many uses. The guy that makes them is easy to work with and will take care of you and or any issues. He told me since I got the 1st generation pads and they broke that he would give me a killer discount on my new pads.

btw; thanks for the reminder.

UPDATED 9/23/15 I spoke to John at ZL1 add one and since my 1 gen pads cracked they will replace them for free with the universal set or give me a huge discount on the premium set. As I recall the 1st gen worked on the rear of my Boss. Once I get the new set I'll let y'all know how they work out.

Bay Area
Got my new ZL1 jack pads yesterday. They are a huge improvement over the old ones. Went to set them up on the rear of the car and they can hit the side pipe. All I need to do is trip about a 1/4" off the base of the pad and it'll clear just fine.

If you have an older jack with the cupped lift I recommend getting the attachment or making one at home.

TMO Supporting Vendors