The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jacking question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last week I had the unfortunate experience of a puncture on my right rear tire. I ended up jacking up the car and replacing both tires. I looked at the front and realized that if this flat tire happened in the front I cant change it myself, because my jack does not go low enough to get underneath the front jack point (pinch weld) nor do I feel comfortable jacking my car up at this point. Does anyone use jack inserts, if so what kind? Also does anyone use bolt on jackrails? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

For home use I purchased an extended, low profile jack from my local Harbor Freight that gets under my car even with P lowering springs. For added insurance I purchased a set of small plastic ramps from Ebay that are made just to get your front end a few inches higher and with that I was able to get a standard jack under the side of the car. You can even throw the ramps in the trunk for any issues out on the road where you would need some added clearance.

I also installed the jacking plates sold by a BMO member on both sides of the car so I can jack up both tires at one time when at the track or just doing brake work at home.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cheap and easy approach to this is to just screw together a couple sections of 2x10 to make a step ramp for the intact tire to drive up on and create more clearance for your jack. Downside is you have to carry it with you.

I doubt he would need more than one layer of 2x10, though. Just enough to get the jack under. I did make myself some 3-layer 2x10 ramps that I use all the time, though. The other option is buy a HF aluminum low profile racing jack or use a cheap scissor jack to lift a bit for your floor jack to get underneath.

I have actually still been looking for a sub $100 bottle jack that is low enough...

I have used the plastic ones of these and they worked well...not sure of the premium ones.

https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/shop-for-gear/jackpads-magpads/mustang-premium-jackpads-detail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I thought the OP was talking about getting a flat on the street. Having 2x10 or a floor jack in the trunk is alot. Thats why I suggested a Toyota scissor jack. It takes up no room and can lift the front end of the car with no problem. But the main reason is it will fit under the car when the tire is flat. I though it was all about getting a jack under the car so you can change a flat tire on the street.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
06Mach1 has made these and a lot of other good items for our cars. I have his lower grill, oil cooler mount and sub belt bracket. All top shelf.

I jack my car from the K member and can lift both front and rear from that point with a low profile floor jack. If I was to buy a jack pad, I would go with his.

The jacking plates work great! A bit of trimming & the Roush side splitters fit fine.

TMSBOSS said:
06Mach1 has made these and a lot of other good items for our cars. I have his lower grill, oil cooler mount and sub belt bracket. All top shelf.

I jack my car from the K member and can lift both front and rear from that point with a low profile floor jack. If I was to buy a jack pad, I would go with his.
Jacking your car from the rear of the K member will bend your chassis!
The mounting points will collapse upwards.
Use pinch welds frt & rear.

Also do a search on Google for jack points for 2014 Mustang and a nice image of the underside of the car with Jack points will show. Maybe someone can post it here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel