The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just Some Aero Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
And how long did I nag you to do it?

But you should also say that you run in an unrestricted aero class. So of course you should run one and as much aero as your wallet can essentially handle and clears the public roads there.

bob isn’t wrong for running no aero in a restricted class.

Just gotta make it right for whatever you’re doing with the car, driver preferences, and ability to tune the car suspension wise.

Understood, I would not get a wing for 4 to 5 track days a year either. :cool: And it took years of your nagging before I finally listened to you and got my self a wang.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Understood, I would not get a wing for 4 to 5 track days a year either. :cool: And it took years of your nagging before I finally listened to you and got my self a wang.
Lol. Not sure is it was years...but that could mean just 2. It was probably however long you ran the splitter without the wing. ;)

Along these lines, years ago I was reading about an F1 designer that said aero should be an "open" area on F1 cars. his theory was that aero was actually the only thing that was actually free, so why not use it. Problem is, you still need HP to drag that barn door down the long straights, but I guess you could also pair it down to nothing if you didn't have the power. I think the fast guys would still be fast, but it was an interesting point of view.
If you've ever seen a sprint car go around a corner on the inside wheels... it's a glorious sight to behold, those guy like aero, and know how to apply it.

sfo
Comfort! Is the aero really faster or does it make you feel more comfortable so you go faster? We are racing big bricks SUV's with wings. Yeah I guess thereis some aero there but...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Comfort! Is the aero really faster or does it make you feel more comfortable so you go faster? We are racing big bricks SUV's with wings. Yeah I guess thereis some aero there but...
Its definitely makes you more comfortable.... But no doubt in my mind that you are on the power sooner, so that means faster.... biggest draw back is being stuck behind a car thats only faster on the straights.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Lol. Yes, ‘aero’ is faster.

Along these lines, years ago I was reading about an F1 designer that said aero should be an "open" area on F1 cars. his theory was that aero was actually the only thing that was actually free, so why not use it. Problem is, you still need HP to drag that barn door down the long straights, but I guess you could also pair it down to nothing if you didn't have the power. I think the fast guys would still be fast, but it was an interesting point of view.
If you've ever seen a sprint car go around a corner on the inside wheels... it's a glorious sight to behold, those guy like aero, and know how to apply it.
If F1 was completely open regarding aero, most of the money would be spent on odd things like disrupting the air for the car behind you and dealing with dirty air from the car in front of you. No thanks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If F1 was completely open regarding aero, most of the money would be spent on odd things like disrupting the air for the car behind you and dealing with dirty air from the car in front of you. No thanks.

Our version would be more to do with canned beans consumption.....

It's a funny balance, generally more wing will kill the top speed, but if it allows you to carry more speed coming off the corner, then it more than makes up for it, plus the additional turn speed. This is why I say let someone else develop it and just copy or buy that design. Going down this road on your own can become a rabbit hole.

sfo
This is why I say let someone else develop it and just copy or buy that design. Going down this road on your own can become a rabbit hole.

This is why the Pheonix guys almost always come out on top. I'm having a good day if I can stay on the lead lap with AJ, Calvert, or Rezzantano.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It's a funny balance, generally more wing will kill the top speed, but if it allows you to carry more speed coming off the corner, then it more than makes up for it, plus the additional turn speed. This is why I say let someone else develop it and just copy or buy that design. Going down this road on your own can become a rabbit hole.

I think I would agree with you if I had a less limited budget.. But getting things shipped down here plus taxes etc, adds 50% to anything that I want to import.

On the wing, went crazy at first with a 10 degree angle,,, then a 5 degree angle ,,, and now at about 3 degrees. Probably try a zero angle next time out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
The part I like best about adding a wing (besides the obvious) is when cresting a rise in the track like turn 1 at Laguna for example. The car would get very nervous and spin the tires if allowed so' I'd have to let off the gas and wait for it to settle before picking it back up. Adding the wing and some AOA makes it a flat footed corner now which is way more comfortable as well as a faster experience not to mention that my tires last a good bit longer.

(@AJ Hartman wing)

W7610_2K-C.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
@AJ Harman is laying my wing up as we speak. Looking forward trying it out. He was also a good source, since he asked what I had for splitter etc... and then he told me what he would use on my car. Nice working with someone that could have sold me something larger that would have cost more and caused issues.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
@AJ Harman is laying my wing up as we speak. Looking forward trying it out. He was also a good source, since he asked what I had for splitter etc... and then he told me what he would use on my car. Nice working with someone that could have sold me something larger that would have cost more and caused issues.
AJ is good people.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel