The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 KazarS197 (Mark's) Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starting to get things checked off. Vorshlag camber plates ordered today @Fair and have an appointment for installation with a proper alignment in March! Hopefully I can swing wheels/tires, better pads and high temp fluid in the spring. Calipers and rotors will have to wait. I'm new and hopefully will not heat things up too much. I still need to do a car control clinic just to learn the car better before hitting the track. I'd rather do a few safe slides in a parking lot with an instructor before I end up on a track with an instructor, get eventually moved up push it too far and get a big surprise.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and check out the wheels that Apex carries , as they are hub centric and more importantly they are active and easy to contact. If you click on to their Sponsor site they even have an additional link to use to get ahold of their specific Mustang Rep ( Cory ). Service is the key if you become a track rat , and I know I and many others have been super pleased with the response Apex has for those on TMO.

I would definitely suggest you go with an 18x11 rim , and yes you will need a 25mm spacer up front, but it will be quite apparent to you after a short period running with many Mustang Maniacs on track that wide rubber donuts do equate to speed. There is a pretty good selection among tire manufacturers also, and overall they will usually run less than a 19 inch tire -- just my humble opinion.

You have to be pleased , because with all the cool mods on your car and you paid for about what a stock one would run , you did quite well!!

I was thinking after Santa dropped off the tires. I wonder what else he might have in his sack. Called him on the 21st and said " Hey brother! Do you have any of those fancy brakes hidden in that sack? ". He replies "Yaaa braah! I'll hook you! up!" I don't know if it was the real guy --- I think he must be one of Santa's younger helpers. And he's outsourcing with Fed Ex.

Seriously, I've seen and heard not so good things about Rock Auto. I was I guess lucky and had a a great turnaround time and no issues. Ordered 2 days ago and received today with the correct parts.
Lines ( Russel ) and 600 fluid are on the way - Still have to order the, hardware kit, shims and pads. $926.47 out the door to my home + hardware kit via OP for $25 (est $40 shipped with tax) so $966.47 for the grand total for the whole kit. ( the 5% RockAuto code kept me below a grand) If I went with the Stop Tech lines it would have been right around $950 out the door. It will be some time before all this stuff gets installed. I'm just trying to have everything on hand.
Do you think the wife will be happy that she now has to sleep in the couch?!?🙄

I know there is a thread for all of the part numbers... Here's a refresher.
KIMG3873.JPG
Caliper #s
KIMG3876.JPGKIMG3875.JPG
Rotor #
KIMG3874.JPG

Got a late start today. One corner dismantled. I was nervous about the 251 ft on the hub nut but a breaker bar and 3.5 ft pipe to care of that. Hopefully I'll get all the new stuff on by this evening.
View attachment 62589
One corner done. I'm kinda proud of myself. Mechanically inclined but never did brakes before. Now I'm wondering - why?
KIMG3971.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Nice. Just double check the banjo bolt to make sure it's the right length. I heard somewhere that the Russell fittings are thinner than stock and therefore the banjo bolt goes deeper (or maybe bottoms out)

If you're not already planning it, I recommend you upgrade the rear to the 13-14 GT500 13.2" rotors. There are adapters sold on eBay or you can swap out the axle mounting plates for the GT500 ones. This should give you better brake balance and extend the life of your rear pads & rotors.

Last edited:
Nice. Just double check the banjo bolt to make sure it's the right length. I heard somewhere that the Russell fittings are thinner than stock and therefore the banjo bolt goes deeper (or maybe bottoms out)

If you're not already planning it, I recommend you upgrade to the 13-14 GT500 13.2" rotors. There are adapters sold on eBay or you can swap out the axle mounting plates for the GT500 ones. This should give you better brake balance and extend the life of your rear pads & rotors.
The brake line banjo side is definitely thinner. Thanks! I honestly forgot about that and did not get the AM bolts. I reused the stock bolt. Left the proximal copper washer on because it looked really good. Put a new washer on the far side of the block, tightened it down by and and it snugged up across the bolt, washers and caliper to the point that the was movement. Tightened to 22 and seems tight. Maybe I got lucky with the caliper. I'll see if it bleeds and leaks when I pressurize. If goes bad I'll get the dormant bolt. I'll pay closer attention to the other side today. I already have and gonna be running r12 and 10s and "should" not be that aggressive since I'm new. Stoptech 23 on for street. When I go through the 1st set of track pads then maybe I'll look at the rear upgrade.

Edit- not going to mess around. The 2 local auto zones each have one dormant 13940 s in stock. Have access will do right...

Last edited:
I think my 4 wheeled friend heard me talking about "bleeding" so the sucker bit me! Bottom caliper broke free at the same time that I looked and saw I was in-between the ratchet and bottom of the caliper. I don't like wearing gloves. Maybe I'll learn... I swore a bit then pulled out a few persuasive tools and made a couple threats so I wouldn't get any more back talk. Everything went smoothly after that. Passenger side done. Much quicker than the other. Sometimes I hate when that happens because I think I missed something.
KIMG3974.JPGKIMG3973.JPG

Last edited:
Who says inanimate beings wont respond to threats. Works for me too. LOL

How does she stop now?? Will the weather let you take her outside??
Still have to do the rear lines, rear pads and flush the whole system. The r10s will be staying on the rear in spite of not being " supposed" to . I will not be doing much street driving. Fronts will get swapped at the track. Oil change too. I have a 4 day weekend so doing a little every day. I decided that because I have a tendency of trying to do everything at once and yesterday which turns into no fun. Trying to make all aspects of this hobby enjoyable. There weather is not going to break here for some time and would like a good rain to wash some of the salt off the roads. We had 1/8" of ice in everything this morning. I'm to frisky on the throttle which doesn't mix well with like a rock hard 30 degree tires. No driving anytime soon. Everything will fall in place eventually.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel