The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

L&M Cams - Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
So I plan on getting a set of the L&M intake only cams to compliment my CJ setup and I was wondering what else would be a good idea to replace while I'm in there. I plan on starting the tear down in January but would like to get most of the planning done a little early. This isn't an all out N/A build, more for reliability. I would just like to rev up to 8K safely but will most likely be shifting at about 7500. This is what I have planned so far:

1.L&M "INTAKE ONLY" 5.0L COYOTE CAMSHAFT (11-14) LM-50l-IOCAM
2.BOUNDARY CRANK GEAR SPROCKET & OIL PUMP GEAR KIT GT LRS-6600197K
3.BOSS 302R VALVE SPRINGS M‑6513‑M50BR (x2)
4.FORD PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT DRIVE KIT M-6004-A504 includes:
  • Chain Guides
  • Primary and Secondary Timing Chains
  • Secondary Timing Chain Tensioners
  • Camshaft Sprockets, Spacers, Bolts and Washers
  • Crankshaft Sprocket
  • Crank Position Trigger Wheel
  • Dowel Pin and Fasteners
5.FORD PERFORMANCE OIL PUMP INSTALLATION KIT M-6600-A50PKIT

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Don't forget to get some of the little keepers for the valves just in case, A valve compressor tool and a gasket kit for the timing chain cover. Will be doing this same swap after my season ends in Nov.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Thanks guys. Extra keepers added to the list..already had the gasket in mind and plan on either renting or purchasing the tool from Freedom Racing

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Had a bunch of strange errors at the track this weekend so we pushed up the cam, pump, spring, chain job for this week... three hour race Nov 24 so would like to go feeling safe and sound!! Will post how we do

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cams are in, the Boss is on the transport and off for a 3 hour enduro. Cam Install went well, spring compressor tool was great. Insides of the engine looked great considering the use.

Tried to go to the dyno but had no time. Shaun from AED was quick as always with the tune and the logs left me feeling very hopeful! MAF readings went from 44lbs/min before the cams to 48 lbs/min :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Nice!
Should be starting my install in the next couple weeks. Just waiting on my cam drive kit.
Hope to post results soon after..I plan on getting my tune from Shaun at AED as well.

@Wolf are you local in the Sacramento area?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looking back at the whole valve train job... I think its worth while getting a billet crankshaft gear instead of the stock one that comes in the kit.... It was the only part that had significant wear. Its about $250 and next time we have the timing cover off we will change it to something stronger then stock.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Boundary has billet sprockets for $99.

I just got an MMR sprocket for $95 during their Black Friday.

Since we're talking about valve train stuff, does anyone have any experience with the MMR billet timing chain guides with the wear strips? Do the wear strips last as long as the factory polymer guides?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
@Wolf are you local in the Sacramento area?

I’m in Cali but I’m in the LA area

Looking back at the whole valve train job... I think its worth while getting a billet crankshaft gear instead of the stock one that comes in the kit.... It was the only part that had significant wear. Its about $250 and next time we have the timing cover off we will change it to something stronger then stock.

I actually decided to get a boundary set of OPGs and billet crank gear..almost didn’t but now I’m glad that I did
Did you use all ARP hardware or the stuff Ford provides? I plan on getting the ARP crank bolt but not sure about everything else

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
If your planning to rev to 7500-8000 rpm do you need to install the Ford Performance TI-VCT High RPM Competition Pulse Ring?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I don't think so... Or at least when I head to 8000rpm everything seems fine... But I am really trying not too any more. trying to keep things below 7800

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
If your planning to rev to 7500-8000 rpm do you need to install the Ford Performance TI-VCT High RPM Competition Pulse Ring?
Its not required but it is recommended
I wouldnt pull the transmission solely for the ring, but if you're doing a clutch anyways then you might as well spend an extra few bucks to throw it in

TMO Supporting Vendors