The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

L&M Cams - Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It's not necessarily just an issue of gain in peak HP, but also where. On my 2014 I experienced a peak HP gain of about 40hp with a combination of the L&M intake cams, Boss 302 exhaust cams, 2018 manifold, and shorty headers.

But the most significant change was extending the gains out to 7600 rpm. Prior to those changes, HP would nose dive after 6400 rpm.

No it wasn't directed at you specifically, but unless the engine is fairly new, it would be good to install valve springs since you are right there. This is one of the things that keeps me up at night with superbeater.. 185K on the valve springs.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I have the Boss 302S valve springs. However, if I had to do it over I'd consider the Livernois valve springs that @docs302 will be using

They're in between the Boss and PAC springs
Adam at Revolution Auto recommended the Boss302S springs. I mentioned going with higher rate springs like PAC and he felt that the extra energy needed to open those units was not worth it or required. I know others here on TMO have had success with the PAC springs and since I was planning to rev to 8K I felt a higher rate would ensure I don't get valve float. I wasn't a fan of the high price for the PAC springs and found the Livernois springs with a rate (and price) in between the 302S and PAC which I felt was perfect. Can't tell you yet how they work but they fit like stock and I feel more comfortable with that decision.

TMO Supporting Vendors