The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Last Bullitt Mustang GT found?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This is an interesting find, and if verified that Steve McQueen drove this Mustang during the chase seen, I suspect it might be worth a fortune.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/03/02/lost-bullitt-ford-mustang-allegedly-found-in-mexico.html

1488488186042.jpg

302 Hi Pro

This story or one like it surfaces every few years, the main chase car was crushed. Even with reinforcements to the chassis it had to be repaired during the filming. The non chase car was actually a small block not the 390. McQueen's son Chad has debunked several stories like this in the past. Interesting note, the Chargers stunt driver (Bill something) worked with McQueen on/off the sets. In an interview before he passed he let it slip sort of that he was actually faster in the Charger then McQueen was in the Mustang.

I think Ford would be overplaying it with a 3rd Bullitt car, I had the 2001 version, great car but that 2 valve motor was junk. The 2nd version 2008 was much more retro styling wise. I understand the 3 valve was somewhat better.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Here is another story on the last Bullitt Mustang. This article reports this Mustang will head back to the US for restoration after its current display in a local Ford Dealer's showroom.

Still not verified as the real deal, but Marti Of Marti Repots is rumored to have went to Mexico to inspect the car.

BarnFinds Quote: "This really is one of those incredible stories, that if proves to be true will go down in automotive history. There is of course a good chance that it’s all made up and the car isn’t really the Bullitt stunt car, but it’s too early to know for sure. I’m sure we will be hearing more about this one in the near future! For the mean time, what do you think? Is this legit or a fake?"

http://barnfinds.com/bullitt-mustang-surfaces-mexico/

Will be interesting to see the Marti Reports conclusion once inspection data is reviewed.
2HP

I would like to believe this is true but something is fishy. Interesting Hot Rod coverage noted the only AFTER car was repaired and painted then special features like extra welding etc were identified. Don;t think for a second that proper VIN tags and rivets can't be reproduced, especially if there is enough $$ to be made. Also I recall a special partial roll cage was carefully installed in the car so that it would not be visable in the filming, the car shown had nothing.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Has anyone seen the results of the Marti Reports inspection?

Initial reports indicate that Marti Reports has verified this Mustang as authentic. A vid of the Marti Reports inspection is posted on Facebook. The drive train is missing and it was said the Mustang was discovered "Rusting away in a junk yard" so don't know what restoration work was done thus far.

The car is also reported to be returning back to the United States for final restoration.

More to follow, I'm sure.
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors