The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Last weekends AutoX PPIR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Finally had the car done and an available weekend with a race event. Haven't updated my build thread, but short list is lowered (and necessary parts) and 6 Pot Brembos installed with G-LOC R12. Just driving around it feels so much more responsive with less roll and the brakes are amazing.

Took it to PPIR Track Attack last weekend and no seat time makes me slow! Was 18 / 27 in the unlimited class. Ran that just so I could get more seat time. Was 14/27 and was 4.1 seconds off the leader. I have no delusions of grandeur, if i can get top 10 and 3 seconds behind the leader, I will be content. Was happy with my consistency though.

Car felt more planted, but in a sharp bus stop style turn, I found the front end was plowing. Still not sure if that was my oversteering or the car just needing something else. Otherwise, it felt great... until.... next to the last lap of the day all the brake warning indicators went crazy and the TCS was deactivated. Going to get it on a diagnostic tomorrow, not sure what happened but all the errors are still on and it definitely will lock up the front.

Also couldn't get the damn video working, need to play with that. It would record and just shut off after 5 or 6 seconds.

Had 1 crash on the day, a woman with a 2019 GT spun out, hit the wall, spun off and hit the passenger side a second time. She was fine but the car... oofff.

I'm hoping to get back out there in 2 weeks, really need seat time.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ovals and walls, one of the reasons I have never been fond of Races and Time Trials on them as it seems like so many of my TrackRat friends have hammered a wall or two. Really should never happen at an autocross , though, and hopefully it was not a course set up issue?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Ovals and walls, one of the reasons I have never been fond of Races and Time Trials on them as it seems like so many of my TrackRat friends have hammered a wall or two. Really should never happen at an autocross , though, and hopefully it was not a course set up issue?

"Course Issue", that's tough benchmark for the grey areas. Sometimes it is obviously clear that a turn or component is too close to a wall etc. They have had a couple courses that I thought "ooo, that's a bit sketchy" But even in a parking lot, I have those visions about curbing.

I think this was a bad combo of chicago box, that had 30 yards of pavement and muddy surface. She also went off in the "wrong direction" based on what you would expect. We know how that is tho. If it had been all pavement, she'd have had plenty of traction, if it wasn't muddy, she likely have had plenty of traction to get control. Felt so bad for her, it looked like it might be totaled. All down the side, front rear bumpers, all the airbags, front passenger side pointing straight and the driver's side was 20 degrees out.

I tell my wife, I can't say the chance is 0%, even if it is incredibly low, it's never 0.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Anyone have guesses on the brakes? All the warning lights are on, even the e-brake light even when it is fully deactivated (according to the handle position), traction control is off and will lock up easy. Guess I will find out tomorrow.

TMO Supporting Vendors