The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Learning True Car Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Once you know you're in a non-recoverable spin, 2 feet in HARD. What the technique is trying to do is lock all 4 tires so they LOSE grip (a sliding tire has less grip than a rolling tire) and the car continues in a straight line, which is much more predictable for any drivers around you to avoid. If you don't lock up the tires, they may regain grip during the spin/slide and shoot the car off at another angle.

I used to drive Miatas year-round, which in CT meant snow tires in winter. They had Torsens, so I learned to apply a small amount of handbrake if I was starting on a really slippery spot. The soccer moms in the big SUVs probably thought I was a lunatic passing them on the highway when they were slowing to 35 because of a little snow. :hellyeah: I used visit friends in upstate VT for New Year's, and we'd always joke about the number of SUVs buried off I-91 with NY plates around the ski resorts. AWD/4WD means you can accelerate better in the snow, but it doesn't help you turn or stop.
It helps to know WHY both feet are in on a spin - thanks DaveW. 🤣 about passing moms in the snow

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Learning to Drift, just the beginning, is really helping with car control. Start out with donuts and then counter-steering, next step is using the eBrake on a roll - not sure if I’ll find a parking lot for that though.

You really get a sense of how to control the car under various “slip” conditions, or as pilots say, “unusual attitudes.” And, it’s fun doing donuts 🍩🍩🍩

Awesome! I’m a firm believer that learning to drift can and will make most any racing driver better, faster, and safer. Not being scared of the limit or passing it can make all the difference keeping you out of a wall. Not to mention it’s loads of fun.

I want to get back to it but my only reservation is clutch kicking a MT82. Feels like that would be like playing roulette.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Scoots, I just looked up clutch kicking and that sounds awesome. Would love to do that but maybe in somebody else's car that's set up for it as I can see it being pretty hard on any transmission. Still, we all want a reason to go Tremec anyway, right?!!

it is definitely awesome. Foot to the floor, flick of the wheel right as you kick the clutch and the back end comes flying out. You can control how fast it comes out with the aggressiveness of your flick. If you can get some time doing it and get used to catching the car with an aggressive flick you will be familiar with catching it when the back comes out on a road course. At lower speeds of course, at 100mph plus its pretty tricky even with experience.

So yeah, go earn yourself that Tremec! Ha!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Bringing this back with a general question. I've tracked (track days) for about 10 years and have NOT had brake failure. Brake fade, yes. I've always use Motul or Blue and track-compatible pads when lapping, never street stuff. So is the most common cause fluid boiling and/or brake pad glazed? I always do an inspection for leaks and fluid levels. I do have an older set of Wilwoods but they still work fine, no leaks whatsoever. What else should I be looking for? Thanks for any inputs, season is coming up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel