The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Left hand drill bits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I keep these around in several sizes. If you have a broken bolt, you can center punch them, and drill them using left hand bits. What this does is, as you are getting to the right tap size, is to extricate the remaining bolt from the female thread without damage.
Keep several of these around, you'll thank me later

20210523_134547.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I keep these around in several sizes. If you have a broken bolt, you can center punch them, and drill them using left hand bits. What this does is, as you are getting to the right tap size, is to extricate the remaining bolt from the female thread without damage.

Been in my tool box for years, the only caution you need for using these is a drill that has very good speed control. If your not centered and especially if you have any tilt in that hole your drill is going to snap the bit off. Beyond that its a pretty good feeling when you squeeze that trigger and that broken bolt spins right out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

View attachment 65434
Had had mine since the 70’s, pulled many a broken stud out with these.

I bought a Sears extractor bit yrs ago that worked on the same principle I suppose...never had to use it and I couldn't find it now if I needed it.....maybe it's in the tool box......................but I doubt it...................I must have put it where I could find it if I needed it, where ever that is???

Last edited:
The Leftortum's slogan is the left is the new right....I threw a frisbee with my right hand way back when and could never catch one thrown by a lefty..it just bounced out of my hand........reverse spin is never easy.....................

TMO Supporting Vendors