The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yes there are prefilters that are repel water while allowing air to pass, they are popular in the offroad community, and they work well. However in the GT350s case, the top seal that seals the airbox to the hood is restrictive to airflow out of the louvers so its best to remove the seal and put a simply top cover on, seen many use plexiglass, this keeps the 'cold air' part of the filter while cover it and allowing better functionality of the hood louvers.

4142ztUvjaL._AC_.jpg

Yes there are prefilters that are repel water while allowing air to pass, they are popular in the offroad community, and they work well. However in the GT350s case, the top seal that seals the airbox to the hood is restrictive to airflow out of the louvers so its best to remove the seal and put a simply top cover on, seen many use plexiglass, this keeps the 'cold air' part of the filter while cover it and allowing better functionality of the hood louvers.

View attachment 73036

Yes, that was definitely more my plan as the car is still 99% street car. Although I choose other vehicles to drive if I know it's going to rain, pop up storms still can happen from time to time so better safe than sorry.

View attachment 73036
FWIW they are widely used in the karting community on both dirt and asphalt tracks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Who was that who kept saying.... nothing good ever happens in the rain... or something like that?? Lol.... I for one crunched my car good and proper in the rain, so I have a rain allergy now.
I like to start the season at race #5 specifically to miss the rain....although I have still had to deal with wet tracks and drissle, I have never had to run on slicks in pouring rain and its not something I have any interest in doing. Nor do I need to purchase rain tires/wheels to run in weather I don't like, just in case it happens. I know....sissy stuff. But remember I'm a stock car guy, and rain means we stay inside and drink in the trailer.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Not sure if this has already been discussed or if this info has been out for awhile but I just found this today....Verus Engineering has numerous aero bits for S550's.
Vortex Generators, underbody paneling, fender blockers...all aimed at reducing drag.
Verus adds all these up and calls it their "Ventus 1" package. By the looks of their graph plots, $1650 worth of aero bits loses maybe 50 lbf of drag at 140mph
That doesn't sound all that beneficial....why do I want it so much then? 😆

Anyone have further info on these items?

TMO Supporting Vendors