The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk V6 radiators (V8/V6 the same?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Howdy gang!

I was looking into doing a radiator upgrade for my 2013 V6 Muscrat. My car gets pretty warm on a 25 minute session.....

So when I checked replacement numbers on AutoZone (LOL, like I'd buy one there...), the replacement parts were the same. So even though most of the sellers list a radiator for 4.6, 5.0 applications, does anyone know if that same radiator fits a 3.7 and would be a cooling upgrade?

I checked on OEM Ford Parts website, and the same number (8005) lists for a 3.7 and a 5.0 Mustang in 2013.

So now I'm curious... did Ford put the exact same cooling in both cars? Would cooling actually help me stay cool or is it another issue?

No other upgrades were made to my cooling system. It does have the V8 hood vents from that year added though.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If it's the same as a 'base' GT, then the Boss radiator should be an upgrade. A picture of yours might help confirm the inlet and outlet are the same configuration.

The GT500 fans/shroud assembly should also be a compatible mod.

But that said, I'd put an oil to air cooler on it first. Installing one with a sandwich plate at the oil filter should be the same as on the 5.0s, just with the slightly different filter location.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I did put on a oil to water cooler from a 3.5 ecoboost truck. I'm guessing that's just dumping extra heat into water going into an engine, huh?

Explains why you're interested in a bigger radiator! ;) I had the same issue when I put the Boss/TP cooler on my GT. Overheated on the coolant side even in 72º track temps.

Good to know the ecoboost cooler parts fit.

Either way, you need more cooling to air. Higher capacity radiator and/or adding an oil to air cooler should work.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I stand by the oil cooler as being better than nothing. It used to take forever for my oil to cool after an event. It might get the water hot a little faster, but the water was getting hot anyway. The oil cooler helps the car cool down a lot faster on those cool down laps, in addition to extending my "hot lap" minutes on the track.

I suppose I could look into getting the Boss 302 radiator? I'll post up some photos of the radiator later.

My other issue is my cute little auto-tragic transmission that needs cooling too....

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I believe that the radiators in all the factory S197's have the same input/output locations, My personal preference in radiators that don't break the bank and fit the bill are the fluidyne radiators. they come around $470 retail which is nice compared to the ford racing at about $700 or the CR at around $850.

TMO Supporting Vendors