The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for guidance on OEM GT350 stock clutch install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Recently secured a new clutch setup for the Gt350. I appear to have hit a snag as the directions indicate I need to align the "paint dots" on the new setup. Unfortunately I can't seem to distinguish any real paints dots on the Flywheel or Pressure plate.
Now the flywheel only goes on one way so thats kinda self explanatory, and there is a white paint dot on the inner bearing of the flywheel. But its on the inner bearing nothing on the outer rim. Clutch plate doesn't make a difference in direction, though there appears to be a green dot on there as well.

Which leaves just the pressure plate. Now I found 2 green spots, one at 11 o'clock and one a7 o'clock (based on current positioning) on the pressure plate, but I'm still not confident those are those paint dots the instructions were indicating. Anyone have any guidance on this? I'm essentially stuck at not being confident on which position the pressure plate needs to go to finish this install up.

Interesting enough I have found NO stock GT350 clutch installs searching facebook and the forums.
20210722_190130A.jpg20210722_190130.jpg
20210722_144905.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Anyone that may have their own example of what these "paint dots" aligned look like would be helpful as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
The Gt350 leverages a dual clutch.
Additionally I feel the primary issues is alignment of the flywheel and the pressure plate per the ford instruction manual. Again issue at hand is the lack of "paint dots" or indicator alignment dots since the GT350 uses a balanced setup in collaboration with the Flat plane crank.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree. When I looked at your pics it looks like a single hub. Had me confused. You would think the floater, pressure plate and flywheel would have to be indexed together.
A dowel or offset bolt should indicate where the flywheel aligns. The floater and cover have to line up to keep the balance. Not much help, sorry.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Unfortunately not. No dowels and per the ford instruction manual we're looking for "painted alignment dots".
223949925_6021358184573418_2203221517349608002_n.jpg

Those look like reference points for the manufacturer, all of the paint marks that I've come across over the years are on the side of the flywheel and down lower on the clutch pressure plate, on the sheet metal flange. It is possible that whoever built the pressure plate may have balanced it separately so that no marks are required.
Best I can find on duck duck go and google is that the voodoo engine is internally balanced, you may want to pull the flywheel and check for any factory balance weights on it, when you get it machined, but it doesn't appear (to me) that it's externally balanced so slap that sucker on and let it eat..
Somebody else on here may want to confirm that before you have to take it apart again.
There is also a bunch of caveats for installing rebuilt/new/ aftermarket clutches on these cars, such as throwout bearing clearances and what not, you can search around for those.
FWIW I should have a definitive answer shortly.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Yes you can see weights on both the flywheel and the pressure plat indicating a balanced product. Per my original statements; so the flywheel really can only go on one way to the crank. But that doesn't again mean you know what the alignment is in relation to the pressure plate. Since the assembly is supposed to be balanced and if its not properly aligned substantial vibration can occur.

Yes you can see weights on both the flywheel and the pressure plat indicating a balanced product. Per my original statements; so the flywheel really can only go on one way to the crank. But that doesn't again mean you know what the alignment is in relation to the pressure plate. Since the assembly is supposed to be balanced and if its not properly aligned substantial vibration can occur.
understood, but is the flywheel simply balanced? or is the crank balanced with the flywheel?, I'm sure the flywheel fits only 1 way and is probably indexed through the bolt pattern on the crank, but... that doesn't mean that the crank needs the flywheel, clutch assembly balanced to it specifically. Like I said, I'm working on a definitive answer, but from what I've seen so far, the Voodoo doesn't need a balanced flywheel or balancer, I freely admit, I could be wrong, but if the engine is internally balanced, then the clutch and balancer has to only balanced unto itself.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Two different parts as the Flywheel is one part number and the Clutch/Pressure plate is another.
Which makes logical sense because again your attempting to align a marking on the flywheel which is balanced and then a Pressure plate which is balanced.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
Has anyone else gone the route of just "mounting the stock clutch" back up with any issues? Essentially the Pressure plate can fit in 5 different locations, I guess eventually I'll figure it out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel