The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for Trackey Input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased my 2013 Boss about 1-1/2 years ago and it remains completely stock except for '11/'12 GT500 mufflers and QTP exhaust valves. I drive it only on the street and do not anticipate ever tracking it. I'm thinking about purchasing the Trackey software but first have a few questions for those who have been using it for awhile:

1. How big of a difference does does the Trackey make for street driving on a scale of making the Boss seem like a different car to just being something to talk about? If you like it, what do you like most about it?

2. Is it practical for everyday use on the street? If not, in what situations is the Trackey not practical?

3. Have you had any problems or do you know of any problems that have been caused by the Trackey software? Is it easily reversed if a problem would crop up?

4. Does anyone know that if I don't buy the software now how long is it likely to continue to be available from Ford Racing and be able to be installed by Ford dealers?

5. If I do decide to purchase it soon, what's a good price and source?

I will not consider an aftermarket tune for my car so would appreciate not getting into that conversation here but otherwise any and all input is greatly appreciated!

I use my trackey 99% of the time on the street, the only exception is if I get caught in heavy rain. I do not track the car or race it. I enjoy the trackey with all it's parameter changes especially the lopey idle,engine breaking, and throttle response. The gas mileage is about the same maybe off by one mpg. I too will not void the warranty with an aftermarket tune. All in all very pleased with the trackey.

I almost always use the red key. The idle alone is worth what it cost. I have found no downsides to it whatsoever. Highly recommended.

1. Throttle response is very noticeable to me and it feels like they moved the torque down the RPM range a bit. There is more engine braking, but not a huge amount. The idle is OK, but does nothing for performance. I don't track the car so I don't have a lot of use for launch control and pit speed limiter. For me the improved throttle response makes it worth it.
2. Yes, it's practical for street use. Since the install I've used the TracKey exclusively. It sharpens the car up, but it doesn't turn it into an uncontrollable monster. My opinion is the changes are more subtle, an improvement over the standard tune, but not excessive. That said, mine is a weekend toy, I don't daily drive it, but see no reason why I couldn't.
3. Not aware of any problems or any reasons why it couldn't be flashed back to original.
4. No idea.
5. I bought the voucher from Levittown Ford's website for $224, dealer charged me 1 hour labor ~$100.

When you're ready, do yourself a favor and find a dealer that has done a couple of TracKey installs, if they don't know what they are doing it could turn an hour job into days. Install issues are the only negatives I've heard about TracKey. Do it, you'll like it.

FWIW, my opinion is,

1. Differences I notice and like the most are engine braking, throttle response and the lopey idle.
2. Practical everyday, for me, no. Depends on where I am going. I live in a relatively rural area of East TN, so if I am staying on the back roads I will use the red key, for highway driving I will use the silver key.
3. Problems CAUSED by Trackey, none here. No need to reverse, just use the silver key and Trackey has a 3/36 warranty.
4.Not sure.
5. I bought my voucher from Tousley Ford now AutoNation https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=5684&siteid=214771&categoryID=196829. In my area, at the time I had mine done (Aug of '12), the best price I could get from a dealer who did at least one was $150.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Had it installed the week I bought the car, have never looked back. Use it 90% of the time. Engine braking very much improved. The lopey idle with my Kooks side pipes and no baffles is enough to cause wood!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've only used the silver key for road trips.

1. I like the throttle map/response and engine braking best.
2. My Boss is not a daily driver. I don't think TracKey is practical for every day or commute type driving.
4. It should be supported indefinitely. Legally, I think it would be at least 10 years from the time they stop offering to sell it.

GottaBoss said:
4. Does anyone know that if I don't buy the software now how long is it likely to continue to be available from Ford Racing and be able to be installed by Ford dealers?
I think you're asking if Ford Racing will continue to sell TK and I wouldn't bet on that. I think two more years tops and maybe not even that long. Maybe two years from the end of the 2013 production run so that only gives you eight more months.

I really like TK but use it intermittently. I always use it for track days and like it when I'm sitting on grid and the lopey idle kicks in. Makes me feel more like I'm driving a race car. :)

I'm glad that you have brought this topic up...again, I thought that I was the only one with out TK! Tired of hearing from other non Boss owners where's the red key. However after the Charlotte event and speaking with Boss owners positive remarks, I'm going too purchase it and have it installed. But I did stop in at the dealership that I bought the Boss from and beat up the GM, salesman had promised it to me, and has not delivered. Luckily he rememberd the conversation and will be getting back with me.

As others have said the most noticeable changes (in order) are engine braking, Lopey idle and throttle response. Combined they certainly improve the character of the car. My car is now pretty much track only, but I used the Red key for street driving, most of the time. No idea how long this will be available, but in terms of cost/value and resale it's a no brainer in my mind, and I wouldn't wait.......

KYBOSSLS said:
Tired of hearing from other non Boss owners where's the red key.

I drive with my red key all the time. ;)

Seriously though, THANKS for all the helpful comments.

You've convinced me, I'll be looking to buy the software and have it installed this driving season. I hope I can find a dealer in my area (Puget Sound) with experience installing it. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

Thanks again!

I would echo everyone's sentiments about the track key, just keep in mind it will effect your power train warranty if any problems arise and it can be linked to the use of the track key.

cbj5259 said:
I would echo everyone's sentiments about the track key, just keep in mind it will effect your power train warranty if any problems arise and it can be linked to the use of the track key.

This is one of the reasons I've waited. It's interesting how nebulous this whole issue is especially when Ford Racing's site says this (bolding is mine)...

As an aftermarket product, TracKey comes with a “best-in-the-aftermarket industry” 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, and its installation and usage does not void the original OE warranty.

You can bet I'll print that page out and have it in my file should a dealership ever try not covering an issue that they blame on the Trackey.

The more I learn about the Trackey the more I think it's one of the special things about the car that I don't think I want to miss. I'm coming to the conclusion that any risk is likely very small.

I use my red key 99% of the time. My car is not tracked, and I dd it for the summer months only.I have never had a car with a special tuner before, so I have nothing to compare it to. That being said, the car seems like a totaly different car with it, and its all for the good. The engine braking and throttle response is what I notice the most and then the lumpy idle. They now offer track apps for the 14 gt's so I wouldnt worry about how long they will sell it for. I got mine ordered the day I bought mine and it took about a week to arrive. At the begining, I was somewhat dissapointed because it is such a subtle difference, but once you drive around with the red key for a while then go back and try the grey key, you will probably never use it again. I just had a 6 hour return drive last weekend and tried the grey key one way and the red key on the way back, and there was only .5mpg difference for the better with the grey key.

Do I understand correctly that to do TK on my early 14, I have to buy the TK and the tuner at a total cost of around $1k? Then pay the dealer another hondo to install it unless I don't want the warranty . . .

$220 for the Trackey software here: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=5684&siteid=214771&categoryID=196829

And another $100 or so for the install.

That's my understanding.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
cosm3os said:
Do I understand correctly that to do TK on my early 14, I have to buy the TK and the tuner at a total cost of around $1k? Then pay the dealer another hondo to install it unless I don't want the warranty . . .

No tuner needed if this is like Track Key for the Boss. You'd buy a license with a keyed number. The dealer goes to the official website...inputs your key # in...and downloads the tune to your vehicle from the dealers laptop. So basically you purchase a license for the program and pay for the installation.

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel