The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for Trackey Input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one potential down side for street use is if you tend to travel in heavy traffic or city streets with a lot of start/stop/start driving. You may find the added throttle response and engine braking to be a little to abrupt and difficult to modulate. On another point I use my track key for track days only. My reasoning is the Boss has a wide band ECU and I was told it learns from your driving habits which affects engine mapping. Since track usage is all about aggressive driving vs street I don't want to impact any "learned" track key parameters. I was told this a while back by a Ferrari master mechanic which is why I have also tended to break my cars in on the more aggressive side. I'm no expert on the subject so interested if any other thoughts or comments??

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
NFSBOSS said:
I think you're asking if Ford Racing will continue to sell TK and I wouldn't bet on that. I think two more years tops and maybe not even that long. Maybe two years from the end of the 2013 production run so that only gives you eight more months.

I need to keep an eye on this. Trackey is not installed on my car but I want the next owner to have the opportunity to buy it or, if it is not available, have it already installed.

Thanks for the heads up.

cosm3os said:
This is what I'm talking about. http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2014_MUSTANG_GT_TRACK_KEY_p/m-14204-mgttka.htm

Well there you go. I learn something new every day! Thank you for enlightening me.

From what I can gather from google results from other forums, they are just starting to ship out. All the functions are the same as the Boss functions. Per the link above, a late 14 car just needs the key, and the 13s and early 14s also need the tuner, if I am understanding correctly.

GottaBoss, I had Korum Ford in Puyallup install mine, I know of at least (4) they have done, and that was last summer. They have no issues installing it. The guy who works on the High Performance cars is really into them.
Steve

The Rip said:
GottaBoss, I had Korum Ford in Puyallup install mine, I know of at least (4) they have done, and that was last summer. They have no issues installing it. The guy who works on the High Performance cars is really into them.
Steve

Thanks for the info. Rip. What did Korum charge you for the install? Did you buy the software from them?

Trackey coming standard on the Boss should have come with the car. But when you add warranty concerns (extended?) and the added costs for purchase & install of TK Ford knew what it was doing...I suppose....I have purchased my Track Key License a while back but haven't got it installed as of yet. The original lopey idle caught my attention but the watered down version has me waiting. Like others have said, I should get it installed, just to have it. I don't track my Boss, so the silver key has been fine with me...you don't miss what you never had.... :-\

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Yes, you should get the TK loaded! 8)

My Boss is a daily-driver and has yet to get track time (delivery 8/11, now 16,750 miles).

It's driven hard, at some point, on every outing.
I get most of what it has to offer (with street tires) when the road and conditions allow.

I enjoyed it, thoroughly, without the TK for the first year!
Now, I only use the silver key when I want a smoother ride for the wife (only sometimes!) or older family and clients. Using it for DD may take the edge off TK but that's restored easily and I get to enjoy it daily. I don't notice it holding back much, anyway!

I do notice when I use the silver key, especially when getting on it. 'WTF happened? I'm down on power!' Lol
What I miss without TK, and why I use it for DD, is the added power, useable engine braking and and louder lopey idle (3/4" discs). So many parameters are changed but these stand out for me.

Lopey idle seems fine to me and is certainly noticeable. While not as loud as with a nice exhaust, I get comments from other drivers on how good/mean it sounds and that's with only TK and the discs changed. Really want a louder exhaust, still! Lol

Adding TK so long after delivery adds some significant new spice to the experience. I really urge you to do it. You'll feel the added pull on the top end and hear/feel the louder exhaust note and lopey idle. Engine braking is nice, too.

GottaBoss said:
Thanks for the info. Rip. What did Korum charge you for the install? Did you buy the software from them?

It was a year and a half ago, my 2013 is #704, had it since new.
I have the paper work tucked away, maybe just call them.
Steve

A friend of mine in CT with a Kona Boss let me use his car for the AutoX ant Thompson Speedway this past Sunday. I can't wait for the track to be complete, it looks awesome so far. Plus they made a decent size lot for AutoX. He has the track key and Kooks headers and H-pipe with side exhaust. The lopey idle was incredible and the whole car was rocking enough to notice right away. Felt like someone was getting busy in the back. I am definitely ordering one today. I just hope it sounds close, but the Kooks are deafeningly loud. And he had a set of used slicks on 18x9.5 and 18x10. I will also be looking for slicks cause now I am hooked.

You can hear the idle in this video, but it might not be safe for work due to the helmet I borrowed ::). I will post another short one of the idle while parked.

Run
[youtube]http://youtu.be/DRQB9YrE-KQ[/youtube]

I never bothered with the track key because from what I've read is that the power gains are minimal. Also, with the track key, you are limited when it comes to installing mods. Instead, I installed a Steeda cold air intake, cat delete pipes, and an AED tune. So far I just have a base tune, but the car pulls quite a bit harder in the mid range. Once I send in some data logs, I will get final revised tunes and also a lopey idle tune.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel