The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 LS3 Pony Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have you been up to Lincoln to run on the Nationals Autocross site ? Surprised I have not seen your wicked Stang as that is one mean machine! You might consider running with the Central Region of NASA also, as there are a lot more Time Trials run with them than with the SCCA, and most are closer ( Heartland Park Motorsports, Motorsports Park Hastings , Hallett, etc ) than some of the SCCA outings. Heck, I am licensed to run both ( door to door ) and that is a good idea in the Covid situation as one is not sure who will be running events this year. Noticed you have been Autocrossing for years so we may have met before , but most of the time I am road racing and when I Autocross it usually is in my son's Silver EVO 9.

Welcome to TMO!!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Have you been up to Lincoln to run on the Nationals Autocross site ? Surprised I have not seen your wicked Stang as that is one mean machine! You might consider running with the Central Region of NASA also, as there are a lot more Time Trials run with them than with the SCCA, and most are closer ( Heartland Park Motorsports, Motorsports Park Hastings , Hallett, etc ) than some of the SCCA outings. Heck, I am licensed to run both ( door to door ) and that is a good idea in the Covid situation as one is not sure who will be running events this year. Noticed you have been Autocrossing for years so we may have met before , but most of the time I am road racing and when I Autocross it usually is in my son's Silver EVO 9.

Welcome to TMO!!

I have not been to nationals yet. I actually ran my first national event a few weeks back at the Topeka ProSolo. My goal was to get to nationals this year but then 2020 happened.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sounds to me you definitely need to show up at the Ford and Mustang Roundup in October , as it is a Time Trial format and your beast definitely fits the criteria for a Outlaw Mod Machine. May fool a few folks who think you run in CAM C , when the car is to a certain degree a CAM F ( Ford , ha ).

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It is in Hastings , Nebraska the first week of October -----check out www.racemph.com .

Times Trials, Autocross, meals ( lunch and dinner ) , parties, awards, Ford Tech Talk, special Ford Vehicle to show up in all likelyhood, Instruction for those wanting it, Bacardi Bus ride, and much more.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
It is in Hastings , Nebraska the first week of October -----check out www.racemph.com .

Times Trials, Autocross, meals ( lunch and dinner ) , parties, awards, Ford Tech Talk, special Ford Vehicle to show up in all likelyhood, Instruction for those wanting it, Bacardi Bus ride, and much more.
It sounds like a good time. I'll look into it. It's about 6 hours from me but it might be doable.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Know the town well , an old buddy of mine has a Dealership there. You are right , it would take you 6 from there, but you need to come ----- that is one mean, mean machine. You would have a blast because often we have some insanely built track beasts show up and your would feel right at home.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I have a pretty extensive build thread on Grassroots Motorsports. I'm going to start posting some of that stuff over here so people can see the back story on the car and how it got to the point it is now.

The car is a 2002 Roush Stage 2, 4.6/5-speed. I bought it from a friend who had owned the car for around 8 years.

It had a few mods already when I bought it. Brakes had been upgraded to the Stage 3 14" Alcons, Steeda sway bars, AJE K-member & control arms, Steeda springs, longtube headers, catless H-pipe, CAI, SCT tuner, and a few other things. That dash is terrible...

This is what it looked like when I brought it home.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I drove the car as is for awhile until I had to start changing things. First thing to go was the terrible Konig wheels and the monstrosity on the dash.

I got a set of Cobra R knock-offs from LMR in 18x9.5 and some 220tw Pirelli P-zero's in 275/35-18
IMG_3454.JPG
IMG_3688.JPG

Also installed a Sparco Evo II seat and 4 point harnesses so I could take it to the track. I didn't want to slide around in the terrible factory leather seats. This is from a track day at Grandsport Speedway in Texas.
DSC_7792.jpg
DSC_7801.jpg

Needed more camber, among other things. By best lap was a 56:32.
IMG_3856.JPG

After that I upgraded tires in the never-ending search for more grip. Federal 595RS-RR in 275/35-18. I had run the previous version of these tires in the past on my Nissan Silvia at Mugello Circuit in Italy with pretty good results. These aren't on the level of Rivals or RE71's but they are great for getting seat time.
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4126.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I removed A/C in an effort to shed weight.
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4202.JPG

Brake pad upgrade, stock Roush pads were toast after the track day. I got them pretty damn hot and had to dial it back after losing all brakes and going in the grass. I've been using Hawk HP+ pads for years on multiple cars and other than the crazy dust I've been pretty happy with them. Once I start running Time Trials and more track events I'll go with something else.
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG

Replaced the steering wheel and added a quick release to help get in and out of the car with the Sparco seat.
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4278.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG

Ford Racing 4.10 gear install to help pep this thing up a little.
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4308.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I ran a couple SCCA events in Houston Region with the car like this.
DSC_8910.jpg
DSC_9259.jpg
DSC_8930.jpg

I replaced the Steeda springs and whatever shocks were on it with Koni/Maximum Motorsport coilovers.
IMG_4598.JPG

I wanted more power at this point. Boost was never really an option for me. My long term plans were for this to be a track car, I didn't want the heat or extra weight. I had been collecting parts to swap in a 4.8 LS engine that I already had but ended up getting an amazing deal on a complete LS3 out of a 2010 Camaro with 8000 miles on it.
IMG_4715.JPG

Of course I couldn't leave it stock. Heads came off to be CNC ported.
IMG_4721.JPG

I weighed the car with the stock 4.6/5speed to get a baseline before the swap. It had the AJE K-member and front LCAs. The trunk had been gutted at this point, rear seat removed and the A/C removed. It also had the Sparco driver seat. 3204lbs.
IMG_4746.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Engine coming out. I can't find the dyno sheet but I dyno'd the car a couple weeks before pulling it apart. Made 260hp/320tq to the wheels on a dynojet. Motor had longtubes, coyote injectors, CAI, and dyno tuned with SCT.
IMG_4767.JPG
IMG_4760.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG

New headers for the LS from Speed Engineering. Designed to work with the AJE K-member I already have. I welded on V-bands and then had them ceramic coated my Accucoat. They fit PERFECT.
IMG_4876.JPG

I went with Corvette accessories partly because I already had an ATI damper in Corvette offset and partly because of how readily available the stuff is. I got an accessory bracket from eBay and had my valve covers and bracket powder coated by Accucoat in Houston.
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG

New 90mm cable throttle body from Warr performance(veteran owned company, recommend) I could have used the stock drive by wire but I would have needed to use a factory GM ecu or a Holley Dominator, the Holley HP I had planned won't control DBW.
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG

Katech manual belt tensioner to prevent the high RPM issues that the factory tensioner is known to have.
IMG_0213.JPG

I went with the Holley HP to control this whole thing. I'm also a Holley certified tuner.
IMG_0224.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Heads back from CNC porting. Then I sent them to my friend Mike at Axiom Race Engines for a valve job and hand blending. I highly recommend Mike for a modular, LS, or nissan build, ANY power level.

https://www.facebook.com/raceaxiom/

Fresh off CNC, these pictures are before the valve job/blending
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

Putting the short block together. I changed the cam to a 3 bolt design from Texas Speed. 232/240 @ .050 with .615 lift. This is ALMOST as big as you can go on the stock LS3 bottom end because of the flat top pistons. I also got rid of the chain tensioner and upgraded oil pumps at the same time.
IMG_0372.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Started stripping down the interior to cut weight. Pulled/gutted the dash, removed all the sound deadening, speakers, amps, HVAC, seatbelts, etc.
IMG_0477.JPG

Started out with the McCloud Hydraulic clutch conversion, this didn't end up lasting very long.
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG

Mounted the Holley in the kick panel in the stock location.
IMG_0487.JPG

1st transmission(more on that later) Tremec TR-6060 from 2010 Camaro SS
IMG_0494.JPG

Started stripping and cutting out all the unused wiring from the engine bay. Mostly ABS wiring
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG

Loomed and cleaned up the remaining wiring and repurposed the factory fusebox
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I made this contraption to mount the oil and trans cooler and serve as a mounting point for a splitter in the future.
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG

Upgraded Fuel pumps to a Walbro 255lph and converted the fuel system to a return style using a factory Corvette fuel filter. Using all Russel -6 line for the fuel system. Just drilled a hole in the fuel tank and used a bulkhead for the return line.
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG

Relocated the battery to the trunk with a billet mount
IMG_0551.JPG

Got the clutch installed. ACT lightweight flywheel and HD unsprung 6-puck (I ended up HATING this clutch and changed it later)
IMG_0560.JPG

Ended up dropping the engine in without the heads because I didn't have the heads back yet and I was trying to make the CAM Challenge in Mineral Wells.
IMG_0572.JPG

Started out with an AJE trans mount that I had to modify
IMG_0699.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors