The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 mavisky's "LOUDCAR" Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A set of 315s all the way around and you will be killing it --- heck you almost are already!! Pilot 4Ss ---- you are the All Season King in Cam C, haha.

Well I knew this would happen eventually. After purchasing a new helmet this year the only thing that made sense was to actually go and use the thing and that led me back to the SCCA and their new CAM-C class designed for modern ponycars to compete against one another on 200TW tires. My Michelin PS4S setup works great on the street and looks great on the car, but after consistently finishing around 2 seconds behind the local class leader it was time to step up my tire game.

Ended up with a set of 19x11 Apex wheels in a square/rotatable configuration with a set of 305/30-19 Kumho V730's mounted to them. In order to mount these up front I run a 25MM spacer from Apex as well with a set of Dorman wheel studs from an F350 dually for the time being since ARP wheel studs are on indefinite backorder apparently. Looking to give this all a good test in the next few weeks at our August autocross. The new setup is more narrow than my staggered 305/325 street tires, but should give me better rotation in the corners and will also allow me to rotate the tires for more even wear between events. The wheels also happen to match my car's pinstripes almost perfectly and I'm looking forward to getting it down on the ground and getting a glimpse of the car wearing something other than black wheels for the first time in it's life.

52255313704_c1373c8710_o.jpg
52261749251_6c9a92a4cd_o.jpg
52262510691_94c6d144d4_o.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting how with Kumho's stylized checkered flag motif on the sidewall, along with their tread pattern , how much they resemble a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s to the glancing eye!

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Well I knew this would happen eventually. After purchasing a new helmet this year the only thing that made sense was to actually go and use the thing and that led me back to the SCCA and their new CAM-C class designed for modern ponycars to compete against one another on 200TW tires. My Michelin PS4S setup works great on the street and looks great on the car, but after consistently finishing around 2 seconds behind the local class leader it was time to step up my tire game.

Ended up with a set of 19x11 Apex wheels in a square/rotatable configuration with a set of 305/30-19 Kumho V730's mounted to them. In order to mount these up front I run a 25MM spacer from Apex as well with a set of Dorman wheel studs from an F350 dually for the time being since ARP wheel studs are on indefinite backorder apparently. Looking to give this all a good test in the next few weeks at our August autocross. The new setup is more narrow than my staggered 305/325 street tires, but should give me better rotation in the corners and will also allow me to rotate the tires for more even wear between events. The wheels also happen to match my car's pinstripes almost perfectly and I'm looking forward to getting it down on the ground and getting a glimpse of the car wearing something other than black wheels for the first time in it's life.

View attachment 77958
View attachment 77959
View attachment 77960
That slippery slope has a hold on ya. LOL!

"Loudcar", I love it, I remember when I truly became a hot rodder, it was on Christmas Eve, 1971 and I wanted to ride in a guy's 57 Chevy, when he did the 1 to 2 power shift, I was hooked.
Somewhere, I have a video of me teaching my nephew how to do burnouts in my Shelby

5KHvTpjl.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually Mavinsky, I have found those rims pretty easy to keep clean with just a little wheel cleaner and water. One thing I have been shocked on the EBC pads I have been testing and now are using is after two event weekends my Apex wheels and even my Apex rims ( ha) were quite clean. I just hosed them off after a little soap on a car mitt and they looked great. I am not sure of the coating Apex uses, but since the wheels are done in Taiwan it could even be proprietary, yet they are easier to clean than some other wheels I have owned -- just my personal experience. I do agree on having a car shod with Black wheels, I am getting tired of that look, so I have one set like yours and another in silver.

Actually Mavinsky, I have found those rims pretty easy to keep clean with just a little wheel cleaner and water. One thing I have been shocked on the EBC pads I have been testing and now are using is after two event weekends my Apex wheels and even my Apex rims ( ha) were quite clean. I just hosed them off after a little soap on a car mitt and they looked great. I am not sure of the coating Apex uses, but since the wheels are done in Taiwan it could even be proprietary, yet they are easier to clean than some other wheels I have owned -- just my personal experience. I do agree on having a car shod with Black wheels, I am getting tired of that look, so I have one set like yours and another in silver.
Wheels...

Lookin good! I’m excited to get back out there in a few weeks!

good luck with keeping the wheels clean. I run the Carbotech AX6 pads. This pic is from one of the last runs, they were freshly clean for the first run 😎

View attachment 78053
I know the pain. The stock Brembo pads are pretty rough. Just signed up today for the August event so look forward to trying to close the gap some more. Here was the last time I drove thr car into work on the old wheels and caught a little rain that caused the dust to actually stick more.

20210617_111454.jpg

Brake dust is something you have to learn to live with.Keeping my factory Boss wheels clean ain't that bad....but I still have nightmares about keeping the honeycomb style wheels that I had on my 2001 Crown Vic neat......I wish I could show you a pic but it won't come up.................

TMO Supporting Vendors