The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So Brad, if you were with the Formula SAE crew in College , did you make it out to Lincoln, Ne. for Nationals or for the SAE races? Sounds like you need to get the 14 dialed in and get back to cone country in corn country, ha.

Welcome!!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
So Brad, if you were with the Formula SAE crew in College , did you make it out to Lincoln, Ne. for Nationals or for the SAE races? Sounds like you need to get the 14 dialed in and get back to cone country in corn country, ha.

Welcome!!
I never made it out to Lincoln. We went to Michigan in 2014 with SIU Carbondale.

I'm going to finish out this year before I start throwing parts at the car. First event was on the allseason tires. Oh boy was it bad. Fighting the rear end all day. Ordered a set of Re71Rs in 245/40/19 as soon as I got home. Completely new car. I definitely need more seat time though.

Last event i was able to squeeze into 2nd place cam-c out of 5. Beating 3rd by .06 seconds. 1st place had a good 1.2s lead on me though.

FB_IMG_1629606326759.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The RE71Rs are no more and you will definitely need more rubber on the GT in the future. DaveW and Dave_W run a lot of auto crosses as well as AuteauX, so look to them and others for ideas on what to go to next --- Falken R660s seem to be making a strong impact. The Yokes are super fast , but some Stang Slalomers think it is a bit vague and the do wear out major quickly. Good luck and the SAE program is such a cool class, did it happen to help lead you to your field of endeavor today?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
The RE71Rs are no more and you will definitely need more rubber on the GT in the future. DaveW and Dave_W run a lot of auto crosses as well as AuteauX, so look to them and others for ideas on what to go to next --- Falken R660s seem to be making a strong impact. The Yokes are super fast , but some Stang Slalomers think it is a bit vague and the do wear out major quickly. Good luck and the SAE program is such a cool class, did it happen to help lead you to your field of endeavor today?
Well, long story short. Obtained my associates degree in engineering sciences, transferred to Siu for mechanical engineering. Unfortunately, I did not finish out out my bachelor. I really should go back and finish. On the plus side though, my current profession is paying slightly more than my buddy. Who is a process engineer.

I have read vorschlag's s197 build threads numerous times. Looking at Cortex also. I would like to be able to build in steps over the next 2-3 years. I'd like to avoid buying parts to then replace them again down the road.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Solid praise for the MCS suspension/shocks and if you ever decide to go with a " Cambered Rear End " it seems all the pros recommend only a Cortex system ( it is pricey but then that is the cost of the best in racing ). The company I used to work for did hundreds of MCS shocks on Vipers and I have them on my Mustang. My son has them on his EVO 9 and the car is super dialed in for autocross. Vorshlag has plenty of experience with the MCS systems, so good place to continue reading as you have been doing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Hi
Used to race motorcycles. Drag racing mostly then discovered road racing was far more fun. Then I got old and no longer have the courage to make a bike go fast. Took my car to High Plains Raceway for the first time and had a blast. I was 10-15 seconds off the fast guys in the slow group. I decided I need a more track focused car without spending tons of money. Found a 2012 Boss 302 and here I am.

2ACB8F68-374F-45B0-AFF6-8443E2CB0F0D.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Hi
Used to race motorcycles. Drag racing mostly then discovered road racing was far more fun. Then I got old and no longer have the courage to make a bike go fast. Took my car to High Plains Raceway for the first time and had a blast. I was 10-15 seconds off the fast guys in the slow group. I decided I need a more track focused car without spending tons of money. Found a 2012 Boss 302 and here I am.

View attachment 68694
Welcome to the forums! I joined recently also, there is a huge amount of information on the here.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hi

View attachment 68694
Welcome, and nice find. HP is a really fun track. Nice elevation changes. The Boss should keep a smile on your face. I'm guessing you'll probably go down to Pueblo too if that track is still open. A bit rough as far as track surface, and the facility isn't as nice as HP but still pretty enjoyable.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Welcome, and nice find. HP is a really fun track. Nice elevation changes. The Boss should keep a smile on your face. I'm guessing you'll probably go down to Pueblo too if that track is still open. A bit rough as far as track surface, and the facility isn't as nice as HP but still pretty enjoyable.
I hadn’t thought about Pueblo. I’ve run motorcycles there. If you go off there you are in trouble. Very rough run off areas. Made my best save ever on a supermoto bike there. Over cooked it into the “keyhole “ (tight 180 lefthander). Was sliding on my left side totally on the ground and picked the bike up the tires stuck and on we went. It was awesome.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tymeslayer and I ( and others ) have run at Pueblo and it is a fun track in a Boss. The course is fun and technical , as you know, but in a car the only real concern is going back on the drag strip. Even dry it is an exercise in where to place the car and get the power down. In the wet it is more of an issue on whether you are wearing your Depends under your racing suit -------- it is slick and can make other slicks if not careful, ha.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Tymeslayer and I ( and others ) have run at Pueblo and it is a fun track in a Boss. The course is fun and technical , as you know, but in a car the only real concern is going back on the drag strip.
That was my experience too. The ruts in the staging lanes are sketchy as you come out of that last turn.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Trust me, Bill knows what he's talking about. Coming around that turn looks greasy and is greasy. I remember trying hard to get the line between the lanes for better traction.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Trust me, Bill knows what he's talking about. Coming around that turn looks greasy and is greasy. I remember trying hard to get the line between the lanes for better traction.
Try it on only 2 wheels. It always seemed like the line I wanted was right across the damn plate for the Xmas tree. I also found the staging lanes slick. A couple times I came off the back straight and slid across them right up to the edge of the pavement. It caused a considerable pucker factor a few times. The other area I had trouble keeping on it was coming out of the dip into the right hander before the keyhole. I couldn’t see over the rise and would always at least mentally back off until I got used to it. It is a fun track but maybe I just need to forget the bike laps and try it in the car.
Nothing let’s you know how fast you are going until you experience 150-155 down the front straight tucked down behind the fairing and then sit up and have the wind smack you in the chest as you hit the end and get it back down for turn one.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia
Glad to be apart of the forum. I’m new to tracking lookin forward to track days and get some experience and mainly have fun. I have a 2021 Shelby GT500 Corvette C7 ZO6 and 2020 Challenger Super B scat pak. But my favorite is the 66 Ford Mustang coupe I have had since I was 14 years old born in 1966 completely restored at home running coyote engine drivetrain. Can’t wait to share some experiences and get a lot of advice snd knowledge from all here.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Glad to be apart of the forum. I’m new to tracking lookin forward to track days and get some experience and mainly have fun. I have a 2021 Shelby GT500 Corvette C7 ZO6 and 2020 Challenger Super B scat pak. But my favorite is the 66 Ford Mustang coupe I have had since I was 14 years old born in 1966 completely restored at home running coyote engine drivetrain. Can’t wait to share some experiences and get a lot of advice snd knowledge from all here.
I'm looking forward to seeing the '66 vehicle profile being submitted. :biggrin:

TMO Supporting Vendors