The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shifter, which version for track use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Whilst currently out of driving action with a broken wrist, i've been contemplating my miss shifting on my track day when things got heated and rushed.
A supplier here in Australia , MYSTANGMODS, has the

MGW Race Spec Short Throw Shifter - X-SPEC / Standard Handle 21% Reduction (15-17 GT)​

in stock with all the others on back order. I have always been concerned that short shifters tend to make life more difficult. As such i was looking at a standard/standard

MGW Race Spec Short Throw Shifter - Standard / Standard Handle 15% Reduction (15-17 GT)​

but would have to order it direct. No big deal as Julie gave me a quote for shipping, but with our current crap exchange rate it works out more expensive. Not by much but it all starts to add up once i pay all the exchange rate conversions etc.

My question to you is what version would you recommend for a track vehicle. I'm sure they are all good, given the reviews i've read by many on this site, but would like some hands on feed back as to what is the more appropriate version for a track car and i'll order it from wherever i can get it, be here in Aus or direct from MGW. As mentioned in one of the forums, do it once and do it right.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The difference in throw is minor. They are both solid units which bolt to the transmission case. Personally I would get the X-Spec with the slightly shorter throw and better availability.
George makes great kit. I notice the most improvement in the precision action of the shifter. The difference in throw is second. Although I have never had to shift with my left hand while upside down. 😄

good luck with your upgrades and I hope the wrist heals soon.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I had the X-Spec regular length shift rod in my 2011 for awhile. No problems on track at all. The throws were slightly shorter than the MGW Gen 2 that it replaced, but felt more precise not notchy. I would still have it if the MT82 would have held up. I sold the X-spec to another forum member that has been very happy with it on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm using the X spec. Its great for track and street, though can't compare to much as I never drove the car with anything else.

On a side note I would love a taller handle option to bring the shifter up closer to the wheel. I'm no expert but I think X Spec with a taller handle would be a good combo, however I'm not sure if there might be unintended downsides to that.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
The difference in throw is minor. They are both solid units which bolt to the transmission case. Personally I would get the X-Spec with the slightly shorter throw and better availability.
George makes great kit. I notice the most improvement in the precision action of the shifter. The difference in throw is second. Although I have never had to shift with my left hand while upside down. 😄

good luck with your upgrades and I hope the wrist heals soon.
Thanks for the thoughts, may you never be shifting upside down, means your roll cage would be tested and that's one piece of safety equipment we all hope is never tested.

I have several these shifters, and while I'm an old skool Hurst supershifter veteran, the longer handle might have actually been a better choice ( both of my MGWs are short) you do have to pay a bit more attention with the short throw, IMO.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
I have several these shifters, and while I'm an old skool Hurst supershifter veteran, the longer handle might have actually been a better choice ( both of my MGWs are short) you do have to pay a bit more attention with the short throw, IMO.
Have gone with the standard length shift plus my 350GT style handle should give a reasonable length throw. Didn't like the look of a short shift with short knob for a wrist only movement, I want a positive location with differentiation between where gears are.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
With the MGW the centering springs assist greatly In positive gear selection. Pull left you are in 1-2 gate. Move it straight forward and back and the springs keep it in the 3-4 gate. Press right and you are in the 5-6 gate. Very positive and beneficial on a bumpy track or when you need to mail a 2-3 shift.

TMO Supporting Vendors