The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Minimum C/O Spring Rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have track measured my coil-over's travel in compression and am using just about all of the bump-stop's absorbtive abilities (95-99%) as spec'd from the manufacturer. The spring weights are what my math told me I should run, but I am still looking to tweek the handling. I do not want to go over 100% of the bump-stop travel as this, as you all know, is a no-no, and will destroy the car's handling in a corner.

This is not a Boss302S, but on an FR500S, it's daddy. So, pretty much the same.

This may sound very basic, but I have one simple question:

Using up 99% of the bump-stop, is this then the minimum spring rate I can/should run?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: Minimum C/O Spring Weight

I'm assuming you mean spring rate (lbs/in, etc).

Care to share any of your calculations with us to help get an idea of the ballpark you're playing in?

For reference, I think the 500S cars came from Ford with 500 fronts 300 rears.

I would send a PM to user "modernbeat" on here--he knows a bunch about this stuff.

Thanks. Sorry, terminology corrected.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel