The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody Miss on WOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Hi.

My name is Dick Streever, I am new to this forum and new to the mustang world. I bought a nice clean 91 LX, 5 speed, 5.0 last fall that I am converting to a track car for HPDE, AutoX and maybe a time trial or two. I have been running a 2019 Miata the last few years. Have been enjoying AutoX and track events but can't progress since I am too tall to get under a roll bar in my Miata.

I am having a problem under wide open throttle and hoping a 5.0 guru can point me in the right direction. Car runs great, has lots of power except under WOT. I start out great and when I get to about 3500 rpm the engine starts to miss and buck, almost like it is getting into the rev limiter. If I back off on the throttle a little the miss goes away with ok acceleration. I don't get a check engine light when this occurs.

The car has 150,000 miles, the original engine and all the factory smog equipment. Air intake is factory with a new drop in K&N air filter. Here is what I have done so far and the results:

1) Replaced plugs, cap and rotor with motorcraft parts - no change
2) Replaced the fuel filter with motorcraft filter - no change
3) Found the hard plastic vacuum line loose on the top of the air (smog) pump. Used a flexible rubber hose to reattach to the pump. - problem went away.
4) Drove the car again and problem returned. Found 2 broken hard plastic vacuum lines broken at connector by rear of engine on passenger side. Repaired broken lines with flexible rubber hose. - problem went away.
5) Drove car again and problem returned but at about 4500 rpm instead.
6) Replaced the ignition coil with Motorcraft coil - problem went away.
7) Drove car again today - problem returned, at 3500 rpm.

Wonder if anyone has any ideas and how to troubleshoot? Don't want to replace parts that aren't needed. Mystified as to why it seems fixed and then comes back. Starting to think it might be fuel related?

I have spent my life in technical positions, including some vehicle maintenance. I have a good understanding of how things are supposed to work and good troubleshooting skills, just not the experience (yet) with this car and engine. I have looked up this problem on other mustang forums and am at a loss. Hope someone here can help.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Dick

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gurnee, IL
You mentioned new plugs and cap and rotor as well as a coil. Did you do the plug wires too? If not those need a look. Spray them down with water from a spray bottle and see if you get some arcing

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I failed to mention that I installed plug wires with the plugs, cap and rotor. After Jeff's reply I did a smoke test of the vacuum system and found a leaking egr diaphram and vacuum lines under the plenum. I will be finishing up those repairs soon. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Will let you know how I make out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Hi Jeff. Thanks for reply. Sounds sensible. Might explain why repair works but miss comes back, just blows out the next weak link. Thx
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the idea. Replaced all vac lines, previous owner used fuel line. Did smoke test found leaking lines, leaking egr and canister purge valve stuck open. Fixed all that and miss is gone. Thanks again!

TMO Supporting Vendors