The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Moroso Pan and FP350S Oil Pan Info (Supplemental)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I guess that just proves the validity of the old saying "YMMV". ;)
He has a race car on 315 A7's so he's generating a lot of grip.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Mine is on a CPC 5.0 (gen2 block) using a GT350 oil pump (boundary blueprinted with their new black series gear set and backplate).

I was looking to find the ARP stud part number; but its only necessary in usage with the 2018+ 5.0 or GT350 style pumps - and only necessary if you're a perfectionist or using arp studs in the mains anyways. They include a OEM stretchy stud in the kit, but if you're building an engine, you need a few of them for the various machining processes. Otherwise if its a stock bolt motor, you can just change the front main cap bolt out to the one they provide. I called ARP, gave them the application and asked for the stud they use for the oem rear standoff in their main stud kit.

Pickup tube modification work: (the rear bracket would cause the front to be off level, with the front level in the grommet, the rear was 1/2" off its mounting pad/stud)
View attachment 14826

View attachment 14827
the triangulated mounting bracket and revised grommet mount: ($200 later on an already $300 pickup tube)
View attachment 14833

Pan alignment issues (and you can see some of the drainback shroulding issues, this was midway into cleaning that up):
View attachment 14828

View attachment 14829

View attachment 14830
View attachment 14831

The issues with the windage tray interfering: (note the tray is 5/8" away from where it should be centered because it can't clear the pickup tube)
View attachment 14834

one of the 3 cuts we had to make:
View attachment 14836

The studs:
View attachment 14835

I had to dig back into mine immediately after install unfortunately for an adjustment on the oil pump (thankfully a minor, if not laborious problem to fix that had no impact on the engine's health), but you can see the forward stud location (and some of the pretty deburring work and ported drainback work):
View attachment 14832

In the end, many of these issues were due to the use of a 5.2 Style pump (which has a number of advantages over the 5.0 pump, though these might all be trumped by the new GT500 pump assembly as it might be the best of both worlds). The 5.2 voodoo pump flows more, has a higher bypass threshold (the 2018+ bypass is lower) but has the weird grommet type inlet which poses challenges. Those are made worse by the overall poor quality control in the FPP pan and pickup tube pieces. I don't have pictures of the welding on the pan, but in addition to fixing the baffle plate we affixed two very large magnets in the main bay to capture metal and provide some safety should anything in there break). Also surprising they don't provide a magnetic drain plug (its a M14x1.5 for anyone looking for one) for the price. The pan rail is also pretty far from level (3-5 hundredths - pulled in via the bolts, but we had to use ARP M6x1.0 bolts as the stock bolts deform and stretch easily, and the front bolts had to correct the pan pulling away from the timing cover)

Also, its worth noting this pan and pickup are no longer recommended for GT350/flat plane applications (probably due to the poor pickup tube bracket design):
View attachment 14837

They make a 5.0 bolt-on style tube that I have no experience with; but its 1/3 the cost and bolts on (so hopefully they bothered to align the front to rear bracket fitment).

For all the trouble and what I've paid, could have run a dry sump - or look at the GT500 pump/pan kit (and a set of Boudary's new black gears in it). The only thing I don't know about the new GT500 5.2 pump is where they have the stock bypass at (I know my pump makes 125 PSI cold before hitting the bypass), but it has a taller gearset than any coyote derivative before it, uses the bolt-on style pump attachment instead of the grommet to the pump, and has oem quality at 1/3 the price of this FP350S setup.

That said, so far so good on the FP350S setup, it works fine after all this work we've done to make it right.

Fantastic write up Chris! So glad I stumbled over this as it answers many questions. Triangulating the tube is on my list now.

Question to anyone else who installed an ran the FP350S pan:
What issues did you run into and do you have any pictures of it? I am looking to get any possible welding done before installing it.

TMO Supporting Vendors