The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Moroso Pan and FP350S Oil Pan Info (Supplemental)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
For all the trouble and what I've paid, could have run a dry sump - or look at the GT500 pump/pan kit (and a set of Boudary's new black gears in it). The only thing I don't know about the new GT500 5.2 pump is where they have the stock bypass at (I know my pump makes 125 PSI cold before hitting the bypass), but it has a taller gearset than any coyote derivative before it, uses the bolt-on style pump attachment instead of the grommet to the pump, and has oem quality at 1/3 the price of this FP350S setup.

That said, so far so good on the FP350S setup, it works fine after all this work we've done to make it right.
Too bad I didn't know, I have a brand new 5.2 style pickup for the GT350s pan and need one for the regular 5.0 style pump/GT350s pan. I'd be happy to trade someone if they wanna save some bucks...

GT350s Pan (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52RR)
5.2 pickup (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6622-M52RR)
5.0 Pickup (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6622-M50RR)

Last edited:
Also, has anyone used the 2020 GT500 pan on a swapped SN95?
Ron
I debated using it but as I had to cut the pass. side wing on my Moroso pan to fit Kooks headers, I just used the pump and shortened the pickup height. Other headers with different tube routing may work. Also, since I'm using the clutch cable, the D/S wing on the GT500 pan may interfere with it's routing.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Too bad I didn't know, I have a brand new 5.2 style pickup for the GT350s pan and need one for the regular 5.0 style pump/GT350s pan. I'd be happy to trade someone if they wanna save some bucks...

GT350s Pan (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52RR)
5.2 pickup (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6622-M52RR)
5.0 Pickup (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6622-M50RR)

I had one of the first copies of that tube (I think it showed up in April?). We cut it up last year (some of these pics span about a year's time).

That all said, why not just switch to the newer pump (and thus have to go through all the mayhem I did? lol)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I had one of the first copies of that tube (I think it showed up in April?). We cut it up last year (some of these pics span about a year's time).

That all said, why not just switch to the newer pump (and thus have to go through all the mayhem I did? lol)
I already have a JDM Engineering modified pump.
A New pickup tube is cheaper plus the JDM pump is has extra magic in it

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay I just received the Ford Racing Pickup and I gotta say MAN what a pile this thing is.
The TIG welding is fine but somebody brazed the bracket on and did the worst job ever.
Its sloppy and blobby and there's still flux all over it. (the black sticky stuff)
If you look at the bracket you can see where the die used to make the bend is way too sharp and makes a deeply dug in impression in the bend. This is where it breaks. This came sealed in a Ford Racing Box so apparently this is how they are shipping. I would expect more than this from Ford Racing. SMH.
IMG_8805.jpgIMG_8804.jpgIMG_8806.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
yep, same pile of shiznit I received and spent more fixing than what the (absolutely outrageous) cost for the unit was.
Was the bracket brazed on like this or TIG welded?
Once you braze to something its damn tough to TIG to it later.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It looks like two different people did it.
The Tig welding isn't as bad but the guy that Brazed it together needs to find a new job.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay I still have the Ford Racing Pickup for the 5.2 motor (same pan) and the bracket is tigged on nicely.
Also the 5.2 one has a shroud welded to the bottom and the 5.0 crappy brazed one does not.
I am at a loss to understand whats going on here.
IMG_8808.jpg
IMG_8807.jpgIMG_8809.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Also I see that the clocking isn't consistent. Does one of the pumps have a funny twist to it or is this a goof up?

IMG_8810.jpg

Last edited:
I have not heard about the cracked welds. What conditions are causing this? I ask because I will be installing mine soon and still have time to prep if needed.

Thanks
I just installed one on my 2013 Laguna Seca. One issue you should be aware of. After you drop the K member you, I cut 1/4 of metal off where the pan will fit up against the k member. You need a little extra clearance because it’s a tight fit. I think he’s talking about the member honey badger having a problem with his pan. I saw him removing it on u tube..The pan was probably rubbing up against the k member.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Okay I just received the Ford Racing Pickup and I gotta say MAN what a pile this thing is.
The TIG welding is fine but somebody brazed the bracket on and did the worst job ever.
Its sloppy and blobby and there's still flux all over it. (the black sticky stuff)
If you look at the bracket you can see where the die used to make the bend is way too sharp and makes a deeply dug in impression in the bend. This is where it breaks. This came sealed in a Ford Racing Box so apparently this is how they are shipping. I would expect more than this from Ford Racing. SMH.
View attachment 16690View attachment 16689View attachment 16691

I am amazed and very disappointed that Ford Racing would even send something like that out at any price. It looks like something I would have built back in the day when I was dumb enough to think I could weld. I have had several disappointments lately with FR, pretty sure we won't be doing much business going forward....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
Bringing this thread up.. What is the "go to" pan to get for 11-14 cars now that maybe the dust has settled from the Ford racing pickup fiasco? Is it safe to order the fp350s & pickups now (assuming Ford racing has fixed the issues) ? Does the new gt500 pan work, or require a lot of modifications?? Or are people still going with Moroso?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
Ah nevermind. This thread clears it up:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Bringing this thread up.. What is the "go to" pan to get for 11-14 cars now that maybe the dust has settled from the Ford racing pickup fiasco? Is it safe to order the fp350s & pickups now (assuming Ford racing has fixed the issues) ? Does the new gt500 pan work, or require a lot of modifications?? Or are people still going with Moroso?
Update:
I sent the pickup back and ordered a new one that took forever to get here and it was just as crappy as the first one so, I think that's as good as it gets. I added some bracing to the bracket and sent it. Its working perfectly.
If you go this route (and its still the best option out there) make sure whomever is doing the install gets the pickup height right. Don't trust the bracket - ever. Always check pickup to pan clearance no matter what pan you are using. Shim it with washers. If I remember correctly we set it at .275 the range is .250 to .300. *Someone correct me if I remember wrong.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Moroso is bolt on and go, at least mine was, and it solved oil pressure drops in high G corners. Even uses stock dipstick and reads right. Fords stuff in this area seems like not so much.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Moroso is bolt on and go, at least mine was, and it solved oil pressure drops in high G corners. Even uses stock dipstick and reads right. Fords stuff in this area seems like not so much.
I think @captdistraction had one of these pans and could hit 0 psi in certain turns.....

TMO Supporting Vendors