The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 repairs/upgrades/parts/tech advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
No, I am a faithful but broke disciple. My rev limiter is set a 7950 Though, so maybe I can bring it down a bit If my Xmas stocking is stuffed with cash.
ooooh....you're creeping ever closer towards disaster and mayhem....I love it.
Its fine, you've seen what these will endure....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I would rather you brake it than me. :)
I build machinery for research and development for a living, I'm all about testing limits. ;)

Off-topic but I still wish there was a TR-3160 kit or write up out there for the dual-duty S197 crowd who want to keep a 1:1 5th gear. It's been done, but not well documented or reviewed, and we know it can take high RPM from its use in the GT350 and the internal pump that came on some GT350 and Mach 1 models would allow a svelte cooling solution. I know it requires moving to the newer flywheel that carries the pilot bearing (rather than the crankshaft) as well as a custom driveshaft, but honestly the only thing keeping me from trying to go down that rabbit hole is getting the speed sensor to work with the original computer. I'm sure the existing conversion boxes can do the work, but it hasn't seen the degree of vetting the Magnum XL solution has. If I went to a Magnum XL I'd probably at least go from my 3.55 rear gear to the 3.73 I have sitting in a box with the close-ratio version or go with a significantly lower rear gear and replace the .63 6th with the .50 option for highway mileage. It's a shame Calimer is manifesting some reputation issues since he's only a couple hours North of me and it would be feasible to drop it off and pick it up rather than paying for shipping.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Off-topic but I still wish there was a TR-3160 kit or write up out there for the dual-duty S197 crowd who want to keep a 1:1 5th gear. It's been done, but not well documented or reviewed, and we know it can take high RPM from its use in the GT350 and the internal pump that came on some GT350 and Mach 1 models would allow a svelte cooling solution. I know it requires moving to the newer flywheel that carries the pilot bearing (rather than the crankshaft) as well as a custom driveshaft, but honestly the only thing keeping me from trying to go down that rabbit hole is getting the speed sensor to work with the original computer. I'm sure the existing conversion boxes can do the work, but it hasn't seen the degree of vetting the Magnum XL solution has. If I went to a Magnum XL I'd probably at least go from my 3.55 rear gear to the 3.73 I have sitting in a box with the close-ratio box or go with a significantly lower rear gear and replace the .63 6th with the .50 option for highway mileage. It's a shame Calimer is manifesting some reputation issues since he's only a couple hours North of me and it would be feasible to drop it off and pick it up rather than paying for shipping.
I wish the Magnum had a 1-1 5th gear...that would be perfect.
The downside is that the 4th to 5th shift is across the gates instead of a straight shift like 3rd to 4th.
My s1 sequential fixes all that but they don't make a shifter for the MT 82 yet. :(

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Off-topic but I still wish there was a TR-3160 kit or write up out there for the dual-duty S197 crowd who want to keep a 1:1 5th gear. It's been done, but not well documented or reviewed, and we know it can take high RPM from its use in the GT350 and the internal pump that came on some GT350 and Mach 1 models would allow a svelte cooling solution. I know it requires moving to the newer flywheel that carries the pilot bearing (rather than the crankshaft) as well as a custom driveshaft, but honestly the only thing keeping me from trying to go down that rabbit hole is getting the speed sensor to work with the original computer. I'm sure the existing conversion boxes can do the work, but it hasn't seen the degree of vetting the Magnum XL solution has. If I went to a Magnum XL I'd probably at least go from my 3.55 rear gear to the 3.73 I have sitting in a box with the close-ratio version or go with a significantly lower rear gear and replace the .63 6th with the .50 option for highway mileage. It's a shame Calimer is manifesting some reputation issues since he's only a couple hours North of me and it would be feasible to drop it off and pick it up rather than paying for shipping.
I didn't use a conversion a box to correct my speedometer when I installed the close ratio Magnum XL. We changed the speed sensor settings in the tune with HP tuners. It took my tuner less than an hour to make the changes and reflash it. I have 3.55 gears in mine still and it is fine on the street. It leaves a bit to be desired on the track and a ring and pinion swap is planned. I have created Excel templates for comparing gear ratios. You can input your ring and pinion and tire height and see speed at rpm in increments of 100 side by side for all gears. If you want a copy of the templates let me know and I will send them to you.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Was the reluctor tooth count and the rear gear ratios freely editable as variables or did you just copy the TR6060 GT500 base and go from there?
Gear ratios and speed sensor settings were editable in HP tuners, which made is easy since my car was already tuned using it.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
You can input your ring and pinion and tire height and see speed at rpm in increments of 100 side by side for all gears.
If you want to get really fancy, you can input your engine torque curve in those same 100rpm increments, then for each speed in your output you can also calculate the effective thrust at the contact patch. Divide lbf thrust by car weight lb to get (potential) g's of acceleration. Doesn't account for drag, of course.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
If you want to get really fancy, you can input your engine torque curve in those same 100rpm increments, then for each speed in your output you can also calculate the effective thrust at the contact patch. Divide lbf thrust by car weight lb to get (potential) g's of acceleration. Doesn't account for drag, of course.
I don't have the torque curve in 100 rpm increments, but it sounds interesting. I made the spreadsheet to compare different ring and pinions, tire size, trans gear ratios, etc. It helped me in deciding which Magnum XL to choose use well as determine which ring and pinion to swap to. It is also good for seeing effect of tire size changes.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
So far, the Lashbrook trans is working well. The real test will be Jan 14-15 weekend. I have a NASA track event and will know more. For now, just getting use to the new clutch, shifter and driveshaft and getting it worked in enough for a track day.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
So far, the Lashbrook trans is working well. The real test will be Jan 14-15 weekend. I have a NASA track event and will know more. For now, just getting use to the new clutch, shifter and driveshaft and getting it worked in enough for a track day.
Are the shifts more crisp and precise than before the build? Did you have the Autocross Mod or Custom Mod build?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Are the shifts more crisp and precise than before the build? Did you have the Autocross Mod or Custom Mod build?
Yes, the shifts are very crisp. The Autocross and custom mod are basically the same as far as I can tell. All new gears, bronze shift pads and bushings, carbon synchro's, Cryo processed, shot peened and surface enhanced with 26 spline input shaft.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Yes, the shifts are very crisp. The Autocross and custom mod are basically the same as far as I can tell. All new gears, bronze shift pads and bushings, carbon synchro's, Cryo processed, shot peened and surface enhanced with 26 spline input shaft.
Awesome! It certainly sounds like it has all the parts and treatments needed to help it perform far better than the factory internals could.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Which shift stop pin is stronger, the one from the MT82 that accepts the aftermarket bronze stop or the one from the MT82-D4 which has no provision for the bronze stop?

81F2E1A1-AB27-4136-9C17-51D6C087DFF6.png

26D7A085-D5BF-4083-A807-534F7F25EC5D.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I decided to get the transmission rebuild by a local large transmission and drive line company.
They said it looks really good inside, just two of they synchros were bad. I got the Carbon Fiber Synchros and they installed them.
And it looks better than new (no funky paint to scratch up), dyno tested for functionality:
trans done.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I decided to get the transmission rebuild by a local large transmission and drive line company.
They said it looks really good inside, just two of they synchros were bad. I got the Carbon Fiber Synchros and they installed them.
And it looks better than new (no funky paint to scratch up), dyno tested for functionality:
View attachment 83365
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
You got a smoking good deal to have your tranny rebuilt with enhanced parts for $600! Anyone looking to rebuild theirs should definitely follow your lead on this.

I paid $600 just for Cryo treating my MT82-D4’s internals. My parts bill just kept running up from there:

- $375 for carbon synchros
- $1241 for WPC treatment (shot peen process)
- $650 for 1/2 & 3/4 billet shift forks
- $175 for new bearings and miscellaneous parts (seals, bolts, detent pins etc.)

Thankfully, I was able to save on labor by handling the build myself.

TMO Supporting Vendors