The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 repairs/upgrades/parts/tech advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
At least you have a local shop that will touch an MT82. My local transmission shop only had one old timer left that knew how to work on manual transmissions. He passed away, so now they only work on automatics.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
At least you have a local shop that will touch an MT82. My local transmission shop only had one old timer left that knew how to work on manual transmissions. He passed away, so now they only work on automatics.
I asked a couple of repair shops, there response was "that's a dying art". I called a Mustang Performance shop I've had worked done at and they knew where to go.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Rebuilding my MT82-D4 was the very first transmission that I have ever built. While there were a few challenges, I wouldn’t say that it was extremely difficult to do (maybe a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10). I‘m not trying to sound arrogant when I say this, but I think a lot of it is mind over matter. I often say to myself, if others can do it, why can’t I? What also motivates me is the fact that nowadays, it’s becoming harder and harder to find someone, who is willing to do a quality job and not cut corners. I’ve been beat way too many times when paying for work, so now, I try and do every single thing that I can myself, and only consider paying someone to do work for me, if it is absolutely necessary.

I tried to document my build experience to the best of my ability, for a couple of reasons:

1. To encourage and help others, who may need to go down that road and save money.

2. To help me remember exactly how I did it, if I ever have to do it again.

See build thread link in post #67 before deciding to pay for a rebuild of your tranny.

I got two bad ones from Calimer.
If you buy from them, good luck!
Sorry about this old thread.. i got my Calimer stage 1 MT82 trans back in 2018. I must admit its very quiet and runts perfectly and i was able to chat with him at length about it before buying.. one annoying thing was when i put that MGW shifter on it suddenly it does not like to go into 3rd under full throttle at high rpm.. missed that gear 3 times or more blasting over 8000rpms. i still have yet to figure out how to get it to shift quickly under power into 3rd. maybe i should just use more force? Its the exact one Ben C recommended.

edit: my question was is there anything wrong with those early Calimer trans builds?

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
Sorry about this old thread.. i got my Calimer stage 1 MT82 trans back in 2018. I must admit its very quiet and runts perfectly and i was able to chat with him at length about it before buying.. one annoying thing was when i put that MGW shifter on it suddenly it does not like to go into 3rd under full throttle at high rpm.. missed that gear 3 times or more blasting over 8000rpms. i still have yet to figure out how to get it to shift quickly under power into 3rd. maybe i should just use more force? Its the exact one Ben C recommended.

edit: my question was is there anything wrong with those early Calimer trans builds?
I had Calimer do my trans and tap a place for trans temp sensor and the workmanship sucked. I gave the trans away for $300 bucks. I now have a Tremec Magnum XL in it. 4 grand down the drain having Calimer do it. 💸💸💸💸💸

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have had my ups and downs with Calimer over the years. Now I just ask for the Geforce parts from Calimer and have the tranny rebuilt by a dedicated transmission mechanic her in Chile. Last rebuild cost me about $2000 in parts and another $600 in labour. But that did include a new thicker 26 spline input shaft.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Calimer must make an exception for you since you are in Chile. He typically does not sell parts to customers to do their own rebuilds.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Calimer must make an exception for you since you are in Chile. He typically does not sell parts to customers to do their own rebuilds.
Yes I think so. We bought 5 Calimers from him, two for me and some three for friends. They were very helpful and gave me a quick turn around on parts.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
I sure wish he’d sold me one of his proprietary GForce gearsets when I did my build. The best I could to was have mine treated.

TMO Supporting Vendors