The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 upgrade kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Owing to the ongoing/never ending covid crap it is virtually impossible to ship my trans south of the border for upgrades and expect to get it back in my lifetime. I had planned to drop it off at Calimer's but 14 day quarantines, assuming I could even get across the border, are out of the question. So I've been looking into hardening kits with the idea of getting the kit and having a local trans guy do the install. Not just any trans guy, but a trans guy who works pretty much exclusively on performance/drag/track/resto/exotic cars. I need a 23 spline input shaft (for my brand new hyper - expensive Exedy Hyper Single clutch), so that lets out the Stage 3 kits which seem to use a 26 spline shaft.

So I have found kits from

1./AMP Distributing who make a Stage 2 kit with 23 spline input shaft. AMP has a distributor in Calgary which means I don't have to manage cross border shipping issues so that's a plus. The distributor doesn't show the Stage 2 kit on their website just the Stage 3 but I expect they would get it if they had a sale for one. Stage 3 looks to me like it's meant more for draggers since it's got a lot of 1st/2nd gear/26 spline input shaft stuff that the Stage 2 kit doesn't have though their Stage 2 does include a new 2nd gear. I use 1/2 to get moving and that's it so those gears don't need any help in my car, but right now my 5th gear syncro is showing signs of throwing in the towel.

2./Syncrotech transmission who have a kit very much like AMP's Stage 2 (but $350 cheaper - it doesn't include input shaft or a 2nd gear).

I don't know enough about transmissions to know if the quality of the AMP ($850) kit is really better than the Syncrotech ($500) kit or just has a bigger profit tag attached to it, and vice versa. My motor is pretty much stock and I have no plans for much if any changes in that department. Money is not the issue, quality is more important as I don't want to be doing this work over every year.

Anybody have any experience with either of these vendors and their respective kits, or any other kits that are available? I'd like to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Owing to the ongoing/never ending covid crap it is virtually impossible to ship my trans south of the border for upgrades and expect to get it back in my lifetime. I had planned to drop it off at Calimer's but 14 day quarantines, assuming I could even get across the border, are out of the question. So I've been looking into hardening kits with the idea of getting the kit and having a local trans guy do the install. Not just any trans guy, but a trans guy who works pretty much exclusively on performance/drag/track/resto/exotic cars. I need a 23 spline input shaft (for my brand new hyper - expensive Exedy Hyper Single clutch), so that lets out the Stage 3 kits which seem to use a 26 spline shaft.

So I have found kits from

1./AMP Distributing who make a Stage 2 kit with 23 spline input shaft. AMP has a distributor in Calgary which means I don't have to manage cross border shipping issues so that's a plus. The distributor doesn't show the Stage 2 kit on their website just the Stage 3 but I expect they would get it if they had a sale for one. Stage 3 looks to me like it's meant more for draggers since it's got a lot of 1st/2nd gear/26 spline input shaft stuff that the Stage 2 kit doesn't have though their Stage 2 does include a new 2nd gear. I use 1/2 to get moving and that's it so those gears don't need any help in my car, but right now my 5th gear syncro is showing signs of throwing in the towel.

2./Syncrotech transmission who have a kit very much like AMP's Stage 2 (but $350 cheaper - it doesn't include input shaft or a 2nd gear).

I don't know enough about transmissions to know if the quality of the AMP ($850) kit is really better than the Syncrotech ($500) kit or just has a bigger profit tag attached to it, and vice versa. My motor is pretty much stock and I have no plans for much if any changes in that department. Money is not the issue, quality is more important as I don't want to be doing this work over every year.

Anybody have any experience with either of these vendors and their respective kits, or any other kits that are available? I'd like to hear your thoughts/experiences.
I just ordered replacement gears and synchro sleeves from AMP Distributing, although mine are for a Tremec Magnum XL, not the MT82. I was a bit surprised when I received the parts, as the gears and the synchro sleeves are in generic, obviously imported packaging. Nothing on their site indicated these weren't OE Tremec parts, and in fairness, they didn't claim they were OE or use the OE part # either. Quality seems really good, but I had to call them back and at least ask, because I wasn't aware of anyone selling aftermarket replacement parts for the Tremec. They said they have them manufactured to their specs, which match the OE Tremec, and the reason for going this route is because the OE gears are getting harder to source, and the price continues to rise higher and higher.

Again, understand you're asking about the MT82 kits - I just bring this up as a reference to AMP Distributing. The gentleman I talked to at AMP was a bit stand-offish at first, but then warmed up and was very helpful and gave me some really good guidance on the upgrades I was looking to make. If you have certain expectations of receiving OE Getrag parts in the kit, perhaps call and talk to them about their mix of components. My guess is 2nd gear must be a weak point in the MT82, and AMP designed this "HD" 2nd gear and 1-2 Synchro Assembly, and have them manufactured specifically to address those weaknesses.

The Synchrotech kit specifically calls out their synchros as carbon fiber upgrades. The AMP kit doesn't specify what friction material is on theirs. I'm going full carbon 1-4 on mine - everything I've read comparing friction types is that carbon is the best choice for high RPM applications. Might be something to consider as well as you work through your choices.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
A bit more info on Synchrotech's carbon synchros. And if you need someone to lay eyes on the place, it's 22 mins from my house! I wish they were offering these synchro packs for the TR6060/Magnums......

1603560043903.png

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thanks for the great info, very useful.
I am hoping to not get Getrag parts, given how they don't last long under track conditions. I hope that this is one of those instances where the aftermarket can do better than the OEM did!
It makes sense that carbon would do well in this application, for friction stuff it seems to be the way to go.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You can get the Stage 3 Calimer forged parts in either 23 or 26 spline. Amp parts... well we did 4 trannies with them, with 3 different builders... me thinks the OEM trans is probably better stuff....

If you can not get a Calimer tranny, then maybe the Syncrotech stuff sounds like a valid option? Asked several times if we could get the forged internals from Calimer, but never got any of the emails answered. I can understand why not.

So far my best trannies were the Calimer Stage 1 (three seasons) and the stage 3, though the last one has only a few races on it so far.

The MT82 gets really hot, so a cooler is a good idea. The Calimer stage three is 100 degrees cooler then the regular ones!!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Amp parts... well we did 4 trannies with them, with 3 different builders... me thinks the OEM trans is probably better stuff....

Are the synchros in the AMP MT-82 kits an aftermarket part? What part has been most failure prone with each of your rebuilds?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
You can get the Stage 3 Calimer forged parts in either 23 or 26 spline. Amp parts... well we did 4 trannies with them, with 3 different builders... me thinks the OEM trans is probably better stuff....

If you can not get a Calimer tranny, then maybe the Syncrotech stuff sounds like a valid option? Asked several times if we could get the forged internals from Calimer, but never got any of the emails answered. I can understand why not.

So far my best trannies were the Calimer Stage 1 (three seasons) and the stage 3, though the last one has only a few races on it so far.

The MT82 gets really hot, so a cooler is a good idea. The Calimer stage three is 100 degrees cooler then the regular ones!!!

That's great info, thanks for that.
My preference would be to just buy a trans from Calimer but the way things are right now that's easier said than done. He told me his supply of cores dried up so that complicates it a lot. Hence looking at buying a kit and having it done locally. Not my first choice by a longshot, but these are really screwed up times for getting stuff done. Car was laid up for 7 weeks just getting a clutch replaced this summer, 5 weeks of that was shipping delays. Shudder to think how difficult a trans is going to be....

I have a Tilton pump and a Derale trans cooler picked out, just need to find a local source for making up some hoses.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Are the synchros in the AMP MT-82 kits an aftermarket part? What part has been most failure prone with each of your rebuilds?

Almost always fith gear syncro is the first to go... even went with a 3.30 rear end to avoid using fifth. Next would be third gear. Once the AMP 2nd gear pinion gear fell apart.... But thats documented here as abusive driving from my codriver :rolleyes: ... ( yes, worse then me). With out cooling most of the internals come out a rather nice shade of blue!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
That's great info, thanks for that.
My preference would be to just buy a trans from Calimer but the way things are right now that's easier said than done. He told me his supply of cores dried up so that complicates it a lot. Hence looking at buying a kit and having it done locally. Not my first choice by a longshot, but these are really screwed up times for getting stuff done. Car was laid up for 7 weeks just getting a clutch replaced this summer, 5 weeks of that was shipping delays. Shudder to think how difficult a trans is going to be....

Lethal Performance might have some Stage 2s in stock that you can buy, may be easier than shipping your trans to Calimer, and end up costing about the same.
Worth a look:
They also have Stage 3, but that's $4100 USD, seems like an epic trans but at that cost you could just go Tremec...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I believe you can get a better price directly from Calimer if you provide the core.
True, but then you also have to factor in the cost of shipping, for me from CA that was about $300 one way, and that's not considering customs/border.
Plus there's the time cost, for me it was 2+ weeks for shipping, waiting for Ben to build it/get the gears sent out and received, etc. It was over a 2 month process for me and cost $2450 (including shipping), so not that much cheaper and much longer wait time, plus the hassle of shipping a transmission.
If I had to do it again I would just buy from Lethal if they have them in stock.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
True, but then you also have to factor in the cost of shipping, for me from CA that was about $300 one way, and that's not considering customs/border.
Plus there's the time cost, for me it was 2+ weeks for shipping, waiting for Ben to build it/get the gears sent out and received, etc. It was over a 2 month process for me and cost $2450 (including shipping), so not that much cheaper and much longer wait time, plus the hassle of shipping a transmission.
If I had to do it again I would just buy from Lethal if they have them in stock.

Forgot that your in Canada... Made a mistake of sending some TMO hoodies to our girls in Vancouver so they can bring them down for Xmas... Boy, its cheaper to send direct to Chile!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I got a quote on a Tremec swap kit from Modern Driveline, it was $6K USD, which works out to $7900 Cad, plus about $500 shipping and then 13% tax on all of that, total just under $10K Canadian. I can buy 2 or 3 Calimers for that and it would be a lot less work.
Really, right now the whole COVID thing makes a Calimer very difficult to do, parts kit installed locally is way less trouble and if I got 2-3 years out of it that would be fine, hopefully by then things might be somewhat "normal", whatever that means.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel