The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My budget track 5.0 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well done on the wheel purchase, also, I love the Amsoil bag style diff fluid, it make sit easy to fill the diff without having 90% run down your arm. Some other MFGs make them in bags as well. As long as it has the right viscosity, and the modifier, you should be fine. FWIW those limited slip units are real easy to rebuild.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good advice from stevbd, since many of us have touted getting 18 inch wheels due to more choice than with 19s. That has changed to the point that it is about 50/50 for 200TWR tires , and as noted race rubber likely is still more available in 18s. I think the point we need to view from stevbd's statement is that things are changing, and with bigger and bigger rotors coming out it is likely that 19s will become more the norm in the next few years, though there will still be plenty of 18 inch choices out there. So, as he suggested , choose what you want in the future because either way you are likely to have more and more choices.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
A little update from this week. Was shopping on facebook marketplace for wheels/tires and ended up finding a set of 19x9 OEM track pack wheels with brand new Falken FK510 tires on them for $700. While they’re not the Apex EC7 18x11 I want, they give me a bit of a wider wheel and some rubber I can burn at the track for very cheap. Will keep my current set of wheels to drive around if needed. This being a budget build for now, I think these will serve me well. Maybe next year I can upgrade to those 18x11s I want.
View attachment 74520

Additionally I changed the oil and put in fresh plugs. Thinking about adding a boss 302 oil cooler before my first autocross event.

I also want to change the diff fluid this weekend. Can anyone opine on whether I can just use those easy amsoil gear fluid bags that can be squeezed in and already include friction modifier without any additional added in? I’m worried the amsoil/royal purple fluids won’t have enough but also worried about having too much friction modifier which I know is even worse. Not sure if I should just get the motor craft fluid and add the 4oz of friction modifier myself.
The stock track pack wheels are a little heavy , but are a decent option for HPDE especially at that price. I have the Apex EC7 in 19 x 10" and still use the track pack wheels with 280 tw tires as back ups and when it rains.

I have never used the Amsoil gear lube. I have used Redline with the friction modifier in it for years without issue. The bags look really convenient. No need to use a pump.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
One of my s550 track friends uses these wheels on his car for winter driving with the 6 pot Brembo calipers (that is, if he does end up taking his car out, it's typically parked)

I don't know if you'll need a spacer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
One of my s550 track friends uses these wheels on his car for winter driving with the 6 pot Brembo calipers (that is, if he does end up taking his car out, it's typically parked)

I don't know if you'll need a spacer.
They may fit on the S550, but the OP has a S197 mustang. The S550 rotors have a different offset than the S197 rotors. That is why you have to use the 13-14 GT500 15" rotors and not the S550 15" rotors. The calipers sit out a little more on the S197.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Big brake upgrade today!

Shout out to @jayhawk261 for working out a great deal on 6 piston Brembos, Girodisc GT500 rotors, and stainless steel brake lines. Every interaction I’ve had with individuals on this forum has been nothing but positive and I’m grateful for the wealth of knowledge here in this community.

Flushed the whole brake system out with Motul 600 DOT4 brake fluid after install and brakes feel greatly improved. Easy job. Shout out to my wife for helping me bleed the brakes as well haha. Wheels for perfectly with a good amount of clearance once the 5mm spacers were added.

93460051-CA86-4897-933A-43CECE307CB9.jpeg

4175D673-47F7-41CF-A854-AE99C54C6EB1.jpeg

68444962-05D5-422B-8922-5536542E7935.jpeg

59B67155-C2C0-4228-A4A6-6F96D2AC0153.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Looks good. What was the clearance with the spacers? I haven't tried my stock wheels with the 6 piston calipers yet, I don't have tires on them right now and haven't bought spacers yet. My Apex wheels clear just fine. My measurements indicated a 3mm spacer was needed for clearance with the stock wheels. I am trying to figure out how thick of spacers I actually need.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Looks good. What was the clearance with the spacers? I haven't tried my stock wheels with the 6 piston calipers yet, I don't have tires on them right now and haven't bought spacers yet. My Apex wheels clear just fine. My measurements indicated a 3mm spacer was needed for clearance with the stock wheels. I am trying to figure out how thick of spacers I actually need.
I did not measure the exact clearance with the 5mm spacers but it was adequate enough for me to be able to eyeball everything and feel completely comfortable. You definitely need the spacers though. Before the install I watched a video of the same upgrade being done with the track pack wheels and the guy said he was able to clear with 3mm spacers. I think 3mm spacers would be the absolute minimum required, but honestly I would not want any less clearance than what I have with the 5mm spacers. Hope that helps.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I did not measure the exact clearance with the 5mm spacers but it was adequate enough for me to be able to eyeball everything and feel completely comfortable. You definitely need the spacers though. Before the install I watched a video of the same upgrade being done with the track pack wheels and the guy said he was able to clear with 3mm spacers. I think 3mm spacers would be the absolute minimum required, but honestly I would not want any less clearance than what I have with the 5mm spacers. Hope that helps.
I knew I needed spacers. I slid a track pack wheel on to see I needed them and took some measurements. I just haven't ordered the spacers yet since I had other wheels that clear. Thank you, I will look at 5mm to be safe.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Oh man it’s definitely on my list- hopefully at least once this year. Little bit of a trip to get there but if I can turn it into a camping trip as well with the dog and wife it’d be well worth it. Any must go events this summer?
All of them! lol

Shelby club might be full in June. If MVP comes back you should sing up for them. It was epic last weekend.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Hey all - doing an oil change next weekend and am wondering if anyone has experience running 5W50 synthetic in a 5.0 GT? I know a lot of people here opt to use it for the track but would I be okay running it on the street with daily driving as well? I like the idea of running a thicker oil I can use in both situations, rather than changing out all the time. Will the thicker oil affect long term reliability? I have read that 5w20 was only for EPA regulations and these cars should use 5W50.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Hey all - doing an oil change next weekend and am wondering if anyone has experience running 5W50 synthetic in a 5.0 GT? I know a lot of people here opt to use it for the track but would I be okay running it on the street with daily driving as well? I like the idea of running a thicker oil I can use in both situations, rather than changing out all the time. Will the thicker oil affect long term reliability? I have read that 5w20 was only for EPA regulations and these cars should use 5W50.
Running 5-50 amsoil in mine. Can never go wrong with good oil.

TMO Supporting Vendors