The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My budget track 5.0 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got out for the first time this year a couple weeks ago at Gingerman Raceway. I wanted to go to the track I had experience on and see how different the car feels with all the work done. The car feels completely different with the 305 square set of Hankook RS4's on the apex wheels on top of the camber and suspension. To be completely honest I feel like I didn't even get close to pushing the car to the limit. It had so much grip that I kept pushing it harder and harder around the corners each session and it kept handling the turns like I wanted.

A little embarrassed with my lap times but hey, at least there was improvement throughout the day. Next track day is in a couple weeks at Autobahn Country Club closer to home. I opted to have an instructor for the day since it will be my first time on that track. Cannot wait to get back out with the car.

View attachment 86411

View attachment 86412

View attachment 86413

View attachment 86414

View attachment 86415

View attachment 86417
Car looks great, good lap time also. I am still working on my ‘14 for its first track day so I missed the May-14 event, hoping to make mid July. I am signed up for Mohawk Track Experience, that is fun event.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nothing to be critical about as the car is quite different to you. I know I am in the minority, to a degree, but your experience is why I often suggest folks get a really solid, quality proven tire to upgrade to as soon as they are able. The change takes time to adjust to and tires take the grip levels to new heights and that means the butt and brain need to relearn and find the new higher limits of adhesion. You will find even more speed and grip in Joliet and your confidence will grow. Have fun at Autobahn and the car looks fantastic!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Progress looking good! The car is coming together and seems planted.

As I said I awhile back gingermin is a tough track to show real improvements on. Its super technical. Autobahn will highlight the cars potential and should allow you to start pushing more.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Made it to Autobahn Country Club yesterday. First time at that track- ran the full circuit which is just over 3.5 miles. Was a great day. I ran in the beginner group which was fine. I know I suck. But I wasn’t able to get a single lap in without being stuck behind someone waiting for them to give me a point by. I just concerned myself with learning the lines and being smooth.
Also had the pleasure of meeting @dragoon and his wife who were there with his badass Mach 1.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Made it to Autobahn Country Club yesterday. First time at that track- ran the full circuit which is just over 3.5 miles. Was a great day. I ran in the beginner group which was fine. I know I suck. But I wasn’t able to get a single lap in without being stuck behind someone waiting for them to give me a point by. I just concerned myself with learning the lines and being smooth.
Also had the pleasure of meeting @dragoon and his wife who were there with his badass Mach 1.

Pleasure meeting with you and talking track mustangs while we had time. Nice video and really good for your first time at ABCC.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for the video, it appears there are some more track condo garages than when I was there last and that is good to see. And by the way if you think you suck and you are still passing a lot of cars , then the adage shall be, " They suck so much more, ha!"

Wise choice to work on your lines and I frankly you were a long way from being a suckee, you looked more like a TMO Terror in Training !

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Thanks for the video, it appears there are some more track condo garages than when I was there last and that is good to see. And by the way if you think you suck and you are still passing a lot of cars , then the adage shall be, " They suckers so much more, ha!"

Wise choice to work on your lines and I frankly you were a long way from being a suckee, you looked more like a TMO Terror in Training !
Hahaha thank you for the kind words!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
@Kona.coyote5.0
Hey, any chance on the NWSC weekend event this weekend ? If so, we camp/paddock at turn 4 by the aluminum bleacher. More than welcome to stop by. Oops, just seen the Mohawk is this week so we’ll see you at the track whenever our paths cross again.

Yeah just got back from two days at Mohawk with a couple of fellow TMO people. Was a great event. Would love to make the Shelby club meet this weekend but have to run personal errands and get caught up on everything I've missed at work this last week.

Will be doing two days with NASA at Autobahn on 9/30 and 10/1. Also tentatively registered for another LAPS event on 10/9

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Yeah just got back from two days at Mohawk with a couple of fellow TMO people. Was a great event. Would love to make the Shelby club meet this weekend but have to run personal errands and get caught up on everything I've missed at work this last week.

Will be doing two days with NASA at Autobahn on 9/30 and 10/1. Also tentatively registered for another LAPS event on 10/9
Hey, we’re signed up for the LAPS event on October 9th at Autobahn also. See ya there @Kona.coyote5.0
Happy to hear your track time this week was a great time !! Wow, 3 track days within 10 days at the Bahn, go get ‘em !! ( tentatively )

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Aww man, imma be at road america that weekend
I am still working up the courage to give that track a go haha. Just running out of time this year. All us TMO members should coordinate early in the year and pick a good track day that works for us all next season. Maybe some beers and burgers after.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
I am still working up the courage to give that track a go haha. Just running out of time this year. All us TMO members should coordinate early in the year and pick a good track day that works for us all next season. Maybe some beers and burgers after.
Seems like Mohawk is a good one imo, good running into you again! Sorry for not getting to hang out more though!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel