The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Hp are you going for...??
Not really expecting much more than I had before (475). I figure the ported intake may give me an extra 10 and with the possibility of E85 maybe I get to 500. I had planned for head porting and cams but now I just want to get on track. I really worry about ending up like JeffV8 with the stock rods but then again others did just fine. I'm going to hope with the better oiling I should have I can avoid a catastrophe for a few more years.

Last edited:
For those who have purchased an OEM short block, what are the requirements for the core? It's a $500 charge and my motor is shot. Can I return a bare, busted block and all the internals in a box or am I shiznit out of luck?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
For those who have purchased an OEM short block, what are the requirements for the core? It's a $500 charge and my motor is shot. Can I return a bare, busted block and all the internals in a box or am I shiznit out of luck?
you get to pay the $500.00 I'm afraid.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is what I paid....so yes, I bought one too. Now everybody is going to know. :(
It will be the same exact motor as Matts except my gen 2 heads instead of his Livernois CNC Boss heads and a different pan. Should make similar power.

Short Block.PNG

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
This is what my total is so far. I still need rod and main bearings and $250 for balancing

Block M6010-M504VC and
Manley rods 14042R-8 $2131.28
Mahle 5.0 gen3 pistons. 898.35
Crank M-6303-M50B. 408.10
——————-
Includes Tax & Shipping $3437.73

Last edited:
Jumping back in now that I have my Gen 3 short block and freshly cleaned heads back from Slawko.

Shout out to my cousin Joe at Barber Ford in Exeter, PA who hooked me up with employee cost for the short block. Out the door with the $500 core was $2800. Also very happy with Slawko Racing Heads in Morgantown, PA. Cool to watch their CNC machines making custom intake manifolds and head modifications. They cleaned up my heads and seated the valves (including finding three that were bent and needed replacement) all for $476.

Ready to start installing all of the parts that have finally arrived.

thumbnail_IMG_0821.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0822.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Jumping back in now that I have my Gen 3 short block and freshly cleaned heads back from Slawko.

Shout out to my cousin Joe at Barber Ford in Exeter, PA who hooked me up with employee cost for the short block. Out the door with the $500 core was $2800. Also very happy with Slawko Racing Heads in Morgantown, PA. Cool to watch their CNC machines making custom intake manifolds and head modifications. They cleaned up my heads and seated the valves (including finding three that were bent and needed replacement) all for $476.

View attachment 73610

View attachment 73611
How about a look down the ports and the chambers?

Monaca Pa
h

View attachment 73610

View attachment 73611

View attachment 73610

View attachment 73611
good to see your putting it back together. Gapping my rings now and mine goes back together.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I no longer remember what was used in the IMSA engines, but since the ones in your car are no doubt tired, I would talk to your engine guy.
I'm an Ed Iskandarian guy, but I don't know if they build anything for mod motors.

TMO Supporting Vendors