The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a little Info from our TMO Canadian friends!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My wife and I are going to be near the Canadian Border later this year and we are thinking of wandering up to Canuck Country to help prop up the " Loonie !" Don't worry, we are lightweights so we will not even make a dent into your precious Beer Supply, and my wife isn't fond of poutine, so no worries. We are looking at wandering over to Sault Ste Marie and spending some time in Western Ontario. It looks like a must do is to take the Agawa Canyon Train Tour , but it takes up one whole day so I figured I would get some input from Mustang Maniacs in Mooseland ! We meet a super nice couple ( heck, I don't think I have ever met a Canadian I didn't like ) last year on a cruise that left out of Vancouver and it happened they were from Parry Sound. They were shocked I knew where Georgian Bay was and that is the other idea we are considering, do a few things in Sault Ste Mari and then head down to Parry Sound, staying overnight in Sudbury first. It appears a cruise around the 40 zillion islands right in Georgian Bay near Parry Sound is another tourist must do? So, I guess my questions are as follows;

1. If we end up doing this is there anything else we need to make sure we do?
2. Any great places to stay other than the typical Marriott or Hilton brands?
3. Any restaurants that are an absolute must ?
4. If we only have time for Agawa Canyon Tour or cruising from Parry Sound, which better to take?

Any other thoughts, advice and any cheap gas stations feel free to mention. Actually I am concerned if Premium is readily available up there as Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula has some areas with only regular or diesel.

Thanks for listening , eh.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My wife and I are going to be near the Canadian Border later this year and we are thinking of wandering up to Canuck Country to help prop up the " Loonie !" Don't worry, we are lightweights so we will not even make a dent into your precious Beer Supply, and my wife isn't fond of poutine, so no worries. We are looking at wandering over to Sault Ste Marie and spending some time in Western Ontario. It looks like a must do is to take the Agawa Canyon Train Tour , but it takes up one whole day so I figured I would get some input from Mustang Maniacs in Mooseland ! We meet a super nice couple ( heck, I don't think I have ever met a Canadian I didn't like ) last year on a cruise that left out of Vancouver and it happened they were from Parry Sound. They were shocked I knew where Georgian Bay was and that is the other idea we are considering, do a few things in Sault Ste Mari and then head down to Parry Sound, staying overnight in Sudbury first. It appears a cruise around the 40 zillion islands right in Georgian Bay near Parry Sound is another tourist must do? So, I guess my questions are as follows;

1. If we end up doing this is there anything else we need to make sure we do?
2. Any great places to stay other than the typical Marriott or Hilton brands?
3. Any restaurants that are an absolute must ?
4. If we only have time for Agawa Canyon Tour or cruising from Parry Sound, which better to take?

Any other thoughts, advice and any cheap gas stations feel free to mention. Actually I am concerned if Premium is readily available up there as Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula has some areas with only regular or diesel.

Thanks for listening , eh.

Thanks for posting, eh?

I've never done Agawa Canyon, just heard about it from friends. To me it sounds like a train ride through a lot of bush with a canyon at the end? I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

But.

I spent a pile of time in the waters of Georgian Bay on a series of boats both power and sail, and it is a pretty unique place. Known as the 30,000 islands, it truly is a maze of islands. Boat tours run out of Parry Sound and Honey Harbour.

I'm biased because I was always a water guy, but Georgian Bay is in my mind the more interesting of the two places. But that was from the perspective of being in cruising boats that you could go where you wanted to go, while respecting the zillions of rocks that eat boats. To be precise, Georgian Bay is surrounded by rock islands covered with mature bush into which cottages of various qualities have been inserted. But water always makes everything better....

You could also cross on the ferry that runs from South Bay Mouth on Manitoulin Island to Tobermory at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, which is another touristy destination. Then drive south around the bottom of G. Bay and back up the other side and thus circumnavigate the entire Bay by land. Depends on how much time you have to spend.

BTW, there is no such thing as cheap gas in Canada. Our burrheads in Ottawa make sure of that. Maybe Alberta is cheap(er)? I dunno.

If you travel with firearms leave them at a friend's house in the US.
Most Canadians I've met are pretty friendly anyway.
Hopefully I'll meet some more because IMSA is scheduled for Mosport this year.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
JDee, I did comment on fuel a bit tongue in cheek as my wife and I spent three days in Vancouver prior to a cruise last year and I was shocked at the price of Petrol in the Provinces. We have little to complain down here in the US, I just paid 2.75 per gallon to fill up my truck yesterday, and it was almost 2 Loonie bucks per liter when we were in BC. Thanks for the idea on Mandoulin Island, as I have done a bit of reading about the largest island in an inland lake and that was another possible area to explore. I was leaning towards Parry Sound if we have enough time, but your note has convinced me.

Likely will stop in Sudbury ---- is there a must see or do thing there or primarily just a stopover to sleep?

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Sudbury is primarily a mining town, famous for Inco's nickel mines. IMHO there's not a hell of a lot there to see, other than a moonscape type landscape and "the big nickel".
I'd definitely put it in the stopover to sleep category. I haven't been up there for about a decade, it might have changed but I doubt it.

Stompin' Tom Connors wrote a song called "Sudbury Saturday Night". The lyrics pretty much describe Sudbury. It's likely tamer now, but it used to be a hardscrabble place for sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors