The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need some help with Cortex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
How is the customer service with Cortex? If someone could pass along the secret on how to get their help I would appreciate it.

I have an S550 with RideTech coilovers. I just installed some Vorshlag camber plates and I now have clearance issues with the sway bar end links contacting the hard brake line mounts when camber is increased. This is a common issue with RideTech. I currently have the Steeda links with the ball joint ends and they are just too large. From the image on their website, it looks like the heim joint ends that Cortex has for their links may be the profile I need to work.

I've contacted Cortex multiple times the past 8 days asking for a couple quick measurements of the joint. The gal who has answered my calls is very nice, but as of today I'm still waiting. I've heard great things about Cortex, but for some reason I'm striking out here.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Thanks for the tip! Repositioning the brake line mounts was going to be the next step if necessary. I'm not with the car right now, but rotating the mounts 180* would put position them lower and further back, correct? Was there enough free movement of the hard line to do that?

I tried contacting Cortex 3 times by email and 4 phone calls, left messages and never received a thing back. Ended up going with Kenny Brown stuff, I had great customer service and have a great handling car!

The times I've contacted Cortex I've always received a helpful response within days. They're very busy just bare with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
The times I've contacted Cortex I've always received a helpful response within days. They're very busy just bare with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, they said they were busy. I would have thought they would have gotten back with me though after more than a week.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you are still looking for help and calling hasn't worked, I'd suggest reaching out on their facebook page or via email.
I'm actually surprised to hear this feedback, they have been very responsive for me.

I have always received great service and follow up from Cortex. It's one of the reasons I am a repeat customer. But, my request have always concerned parts either purchased from them or requesting assistance for proper purchase selection based on my application.

Were any of the parts you are having issue with purchased from Cortex? If not, are you actually seeking assistance in purchasing parts from Cortex that fit correctly? If yes, did you clearly identify that your issue is with parts purchased from Cortex or that you want to buy parts? If the answer to both of these questions are no, I would not be too surprised if you are not at the top of their priority list.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the tip! Repositioning the brake line mounts was going to be the next step if necessary. I'm not with the car right now, but rotating the mounts 180* would put position them lower and further back, correct? Was there enough free movement of the hard line to do that?

Correct, and yes there was enough movement of the hard line to do this, its really not moving it much, but enough to provide clearance. I am running BMR sway bars on full soft up front with the FTB endlinks and even with the lower profile of the FTB links (or Cortex) I think you would still need to reposition the bracket.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I have always received great service and follow up from Cortex. It's one of the reasons I am a repeat customer. But, my request have always concerned parts either purchased from them or requesting assistance for proper purchase selection based on my application.

Were any of the parts you are having issue with purchased from Cortex? If not, are you actually seeking assistance in purchasing parts from Cortex that fit correctly? If yes, did you clearly identify that your issue is with parts purchased from Cortex or that you want to buy parts? If the answer to both of these questions are no, I would not be too surprised if you are not at the top of their priority list.

With my first contact I spoke for a few minutes with the woman who has always answered the phone when I have called. She has been very nice. I explained to her that I was interested in possibly purchasing their front sway bar end links and why. I explained what my goal was and asked if someone could measure the outside diameter of the heim joint as well as the distance from the back of the joint to the mounting surface of the stud. She verified for me that they had the links in stock and said it should not be a problem. She took my phone number, email address, and even wrote down my questions and read it back to me.

She did say that "the guys" were busy and wasn't sure if she could get the answer that day, but would make sure that they would get the message and either she or one of them would get right back to me. I've talked with her twice since then and she even emailed me last Friday thanking me for my patience and stated she would get the answer that day. I called yesterday morning (Wednesday) and left a message and as of today I have not received a response.

Yes, I have heard good thinks about Cortex, but I had never purchased anything from them before. I was hoping that since they were a smaller company that I could get the info I asked for. It's one of the reasons I deal with Tim at Optimum Performance. He is fantastic with answering questions and providing good service. I had previously contacted Scott Drake about their end links and they said that it would be "inconvenient" for them to search for a part among the 12,000 SKU's in their warehouse in order to take a quick measurement. I replied it was no problem and that I wouldn't "inconvenience" them anymore as a possible customer.

I'm not here to bash Cortex, but was hoping for some insight on how to deal with them. I'm somewhat new to this arena of motor sports (used to race dirt bikes) and I really didn't think I was asking too much of them to provide a quick measurement so that I could verify clearance before making a purchase.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Correct, and yes there was enough movement of the hard line to do this, its really not moving it much, but enough to provide clearance. I am running BMR sway bars on full soft up front with the FTB endlinks and even with the lower profile of the FTB links (or Cortex) I think you would still need to reposition the bracket.

Fantastic! I appreciate the help. This will definitely solve my issues then. My next step was going to investigate repositioning the mounts, but I didn't know it would be that easy.

You are not coming across as bashing Cortex in anyway. I am actual surprised based on your detailed description that they did not get back with you. I have called for things as simple as a replacement fitting and have gotten quick responses. Filip himself has even called back a couple of times to follow up.

I think Ride Tech might make or sell an endlink that could work. I would call and ask.
4-S550-Coilover-Suspension-.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Yep. RideTech was the first I had called since I saw a similar picture as that. They don't manufacture a link that is long enough, but they were more than willing to help out by providing the thread size and pitch for the the end joint to see if I wanted to adapt them to a different manufacturer. Their customer service has always been great.

It's all good though since @gtorpedo actually provided a solution for me.

Don't feel bad bashing Cortex! I have reached out to them on several occasions only to be snubbed. I also had a pleasant phone conversation with the fore mentioned gal. We are all busy! Not returning phone calls and e-mails is just flat out bad business. A crucial aspect of this industry is TECHNICAL support. Your life depends on it. There are some outstanding parts manufacturers and retailers whom are willing to spend a few minutes of their day to share their expertise and knowledge in regards to the purchase and installation of aftermarket performance products. The folks at Cortex do not fall into this category. On a side note FYI: The owner of Cortex once worked for Griggs Racing.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have recently started using Cortex parts. I bought a few used parts from TMO members and needed advice on installing the parts. A quick email, answered by Filip and I was all set. The parts I bought were from an earlier design and I needed to upgrade. Parts were shipped and all fit well.
My experience was above expectations. Likely from reading the string.
I tend to stay with one brand, system. I find if I allow the experts to do the design, testing and fitment work. All I have to do is install and enjoy.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors